SR - The Lion's Tale

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Aug 19 10:34:48 PDT 1998

On 19 Aug 98, at 8:30, Kevin Varner wrote:

>  The electronic problem is software related. I am generating the
> document in MS Word97. I can "Save as" another format, but we are losing
> formatting and graphics during the conversion. Garbage is tossed in as
> well. What it did to the one I sent to Ivar is still the most mystifying.
> For those of you who have Acrobat Reader (free software plug) I can send
> you a .pdf document and you should be able to read it regardless of what I
> used to generate the original.
>  I was hoping to be able to set up a mass mailing group to launch
> it via email, but just the varied differences between Jan, Ivar, Krag,
> Dieterich, and Gilli have made it very interesting.

to simplify things for you and your crew, why not work with the virtual
scribes and make it available as a download from the regional homepage ...
that way you can put it in multiple formats - HTML, Word .DOC (origional
format i gather?), Acrobat .PDF, ASCII .TXT and then let the online folk
interested either view the information online or download the version they
wnat to their machines.

this would cover most online folk, then you would only have to worry about
those who choose to be browser-less and send simple TXT format.  also,
you let people be responsible for getting the information for themselves if
they are interested in it ... would also set a good precendent for historical
data as all issues would be onlien and available.

could also save you soem postage costs by encoraging elctronic general
distribution ... for hard-copy, deputize one person in each area with www
access to snag the copies and deal with traditional printing & distribution.

in otherwise, minimize the dead tree's, maximise the infromation access

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves