SR - Naming the region

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Thu Aug 20 21:15:28 PDT 1998

Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> As one counter-example, do you think a Laurel Sovereign of Arms would
> buy "Shire of Los Angeles" with the argument that the city's full name
> is "Ciudad de Nuestra Se{n~}ora, la Reina de los Angeles" (the which
> spelling I've doubtless mangled)?

Search me, but it seems an arguable distinction that "Los Angeles" is
far more well known than "Cibola."

> Saints are no problem registering: witness the College of Saint

> Not necessarily "famous individuals", but "individuals associated with
> a particular place".  Thoresby is simply "Thor's farm", for example.

I was thinking more along the lines of tribes known for a particular
individuals.

> England has hundreds of examples, I'm sure, of similar humble names.
> As for famous people in general: Ricardo and Ragnar would, I think, be
> suitable bases for names.

I know it seems Ragnar is mentioned any time there are stories told. At
one point I think we had a list of "Ragnar"+ "x" names.  Daniel, you
still got them?  Ragnarsham, Ragnarsborough?

> > "Tierra del Calor" seems appropriate after this summer--"Tierra del Fuego"
> > is a good model
>
> Isn't "fuego" fire?
Yep.

 That's something you can point at; heat isn't quite.  It's a start, but
I'd like more examples of similar names.  In
> my modern world atlas there are Tierra Blanca times 5, Tierra Amarilla
> times 2 (what *does* Amarillo mean?

Yellow.

>The *connotation* is "way the
> hell out there", but the *denotation* doubtless differs!), and Tierra
> Colorada

Red.

Lots of colors--how about Tierra
Whateverthehellyoucalldroughtstrickengrass.

"Caliza" is "limestone."  What about "Torres Calizas" or "Aguas
Calizas"?

AElfwyn