SR - Naming the region

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Thu Aug 20 22:40:03 PDT 1998

On 20 Aug 98, at 23:27, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, j'lynn yeates wrote:
> > ... what would "heart of the star" be ???
>
> My first guess is "a place where people aren't from", since it
> postulates a heart for a star and we live there -- but I could be
> wrong.  I don't know that the modern English concept of "heart"
> meaning "center" applies in other languages and cultures.

well. many cultures have *old* mythic associations with the three stars that
make up orions belt .. in paricular the central one, often associated with
"creation" (maya, eqypt, ancient cambodian ....).  lot's of associations with
"star's" in many cultures (see: the quarterly Parabola for excellent tales
from all around the world on this and many other concepts)

OK, splitting hairs ,,, call it "center of the star" ... ends up meaning the
same thing.  old assocuaitions, new beginning ... evolution from what was
instead of revolution away from ... implies stability ...  maintanence of
existing family / tribe / clann associations while growing into unique future.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves