SR - First-round polling?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Dec 7 05:22:34 PST 1998

Timothy A. McDaniel (tmcd at crl.com) said something that sounded like:

> Paragraph two: Everyone expects Ansteorrans to be honorable and not
> "stuff the ballot box".  Each person should submit only one ballot.
> Only people who are active in the current Southern Region of Ansteorra
> or who want to be or expect to be within the principality should cast
> ballots.

Uhh. I have a bit of a problem with this.

1) Define active. Is it that they live in the Southern Region? Is it
   that they play with the Southern Region but live elsewhere? Where is
   the line drawn?

2) I don't think we should do any polling outside of the Region since
   this has nothing to do with a principality. Either this is about the
   Region or this is about a Principality. You can't have both at this
   stage without mucking the waters.

> Paragraph three: Mark any number of names that you want.
[...]
> The committee expects to use the top five, but
> reserves the right to add a couple more if the cut off is close, or
> adjust it if several related names crowd unrelated names off the list.

I think people might have misunderstood this part. People don't vote for
5 names. They vote for all they want, and the top 5 receiving votes go
on to the next round.

> Each name would be printed with a box next to it.  (Details: I suggest
> each name in boldface, as "hanging paragraphs".  I've found tables
> take up too much space, since each column is usually as wide as its
> widest cell.)

This can be fixed. Is there a problem that I should address or just a
personal preference?

> - Should you mark names that you "like", that you "wouldn't mind", or
>   that you "want considered"?  That could make a big difference.

If you wish to address this, you could do an inverse ranking system.
Have 1-3 with Like, Wouldn't Mind, Would Consider. The numbers would be
weighted backwards and then tallied.

A Would Consider vote would only get 1 point for the name, while a Like
would give 3 points.

This is combersome and confusing though.

> - Should it really be like this?  I'm very concerned about the
>   judgment call if a block of related names proves popular and crowds
>   other candidates off.

This certainly could be the case, but if we are talking language
differences of a single concept they could be "lumped" together as a
single entry at this point and if they become the number one over time,
vote for the "best" form of it.

>   Or should it really be a pure nomination phase, listing the
>   already-suggested names and inviting more, with the *second* round
>   instead weeding it down to five or so?

I don't know that we need this since I thought the call had already gone
out for additional names in the Lions Tale. (I could be mistaken though.)

Ciao,