SR - Lions and such

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 19 13:31:51 PST 1998

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Well, I haven't had a chance to research anything as far as Lions and
Lowens in period, but the SCA Ordinary and Armorial lists only the
following locations under Lions:

Lion's End
Lion's Gate
Lion's Keep
Lion's Tower

So, I guess that leaves Lion's Reach and Lion's March.

The O&A doesn't list any place names starting with Lowen.  I guess there's
always Lowenfeld (or the OE version Leonfeld), Lowenland, or Lowensteppes.

Also, I suppose we could always do the Sussex thing. Sussex (and I think
someone mentioned this) is a contraction of South Saxon (Sud Saxon).  So I
suppose a contraction of South Ansteorra would render something like
Susteorra, Susteor, or Sustar.

We could also consider the terrain.  The hills around here are primarily
white limestone, but I believe the soil is redder towards Raven's Fort.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin