SR - Let's get this started right.

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:32:37 PST 1998

At 01:57 AM 2/20/98 -0600, Aquilanne wrote:

I tend to like the idea of the whole
>region going principality--if it's supported in that way, of course; I
>definitely like the idea of Raven's Fort coming along with us as well as
>Shadowlands. (I gotta say I rather winced when you talked about "rejecting"
>groups. I think if a group in our region is interested in supporting a
>principality, then welcome and well met; we'll need all the hands we're
>offered.)  I've also heard a few folk weighing the idea of inviting the
>Western region to come along with us, and the more I think about it, that
>doesn't sound like that would be too bad a deal for us, and it would be a
>real boost for them--once again, if that's what *they* wanted as well. I
>think we need to stay a little open minded right now, and just find out who
>might be interested in going along for this venture with us.

As a newcomer to Ansteorra, I don't have the same longstanding relations
that others do, so I will apologize in advance if by word or tone I offend
anyone.  Disclaimer duly posted and noted, I'll get to it.

It seems that the thrust of the pro-principality movement is to nurture
groups and individuals that have been lost in the madding crowd.  In order
to do that effectively, I think Mistress Aquilanne's attitude of
inclusivity is the one to be adopted.  Bryn Gwlad and my home of Bjornsborg
have the geographical advantage of mutual proximity (and really not having
as far to go elsewhere in the kingdom)--and it seems that when longer trips
are taken, they are taken North.  If the principality concept is to be
viable, it would seem that there should be a concerted effort to turn
attentions to build the cohesiveness of the region--not in a inbred,
cliquish way, but to help share the burden of travel and support among the
members of the principality.

I'm still weak on Ansteorran geography, so I'll revert to what I know.  In
my former employment, I travelled South Texas, and I know there's a lot of
nothing between places.  But from a business point of view, South Texas is
generally approached from San Antonio to Eagle Pass, Laredo and the Valley,
then swing back to Corpus, Beeville and back to San Antonio.  The hill
country is the other unit, SA to Austin to Fredricksburg to Kerrville.  It
would seem that a Southern Principality would include those two regions at
an minimum.

At that point, you've roughly created a very large circle.  And points
across the circle are roughly equal.  So if you have an attempt to rotate
events around the wheel in order to foster groups like La Marche Sauvage
(I've heard several comments to the effect that they have a hard time
getting people down there) with the attitude that it is everyone's-ummm-I'm
stumped for a word right here--duty or responsibility is stronger than I
want, but they'll have to do--obligation (no, not really--OH, just get on
with it) to support and nurture all the members of the principality, then
they can grow stronger, benefitting not only the principality, but the
kingdom.

How? I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer going to events where
I know someone I already know will be there. I'm new, so my circle of
acquaintances is relatively small.  I like the idea of having a smaller
group to master first, so that I can develop enough acquaintances that if I
want to go to an event in Namron, and none of my usual running buddies are
going, I'm assured of seeing some familiar faces.  I'd be more likely to go
to farflung events under that scenario.  In its absence, I'm sticking with
Bryn Gwlad and Bjornsborg things in order to have some sense of security
while I am making new friends--and mind you, I'm not shy, so I figure other
newbies or not-really-oldies may have the same concerns.

AElfwyn