SR - heraldry

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Feb 24 11:30:15 PST 1998

Konrad wrote:
> My own personal belief is that lions (and wolves) tend
> to be overdone in SCA heraldry.

Lions were the most frequent beast in period armory, so
their being "overdone" in the SCA is not a problem.
Relative to period, we "underdo" them (even if we count
kitty kats and other feline variants that were rare or
unknown).

Wolves are far, *far* more common in the SCA than in period.
In my personal opinion, they're overdone in both senses of the
word (in absolute terms and relative to period).

As for Ragnarsland -- I was wondering when that suggestion
would come up.  Certainly there were enough place names in
period based on a given name.  I don't know if "land" or
anything cognate to it was used, but there's plenty of
dales, hills, thorpes, et cetera.  I think that usually the
person was the owner of the dale, hill, et cetera, in
question, but I shan't kick about that.  It's a fine notion.
Onomastically speaking, I should say -- you may or may not
like the meaning.

Daniel "yes, I liked Erikland too" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.