SR - thoughts on city states ... different politics

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Jul 3 13:51:01 PDT 1998

On 3 Jul 98, at 13:50, Donal & Sosha wrote:

> Not to add a fox to the hen house, but has anyone thought that perhaps
> Bryn Gwlad, Bjornsberg, and Tempio should be The Principality...or at
> least a Free City State (thankyou Collin)?

have always wondered about the possibility of "city states" ... are they
mentioned pro/con in Corpora ???  a local group could realistically emulate
a city state, but i don't know if multiple cities could (slightly outside my
areas of study ...) but i could easily see a political alliance of such city
states as being viable

biggest con against the idea, is that these political entities were based
much more on "commercial" / "growing middle class" / "politics of the
church" than the traditional "medieval feudal" model that is at the core of
the SCA to date ... though you could also argue that the wide-spread
support of the "light weapons" / "cavalier culture" shows that there might be
potentials worth exploring ....

also, seems that they would open more doors to the "breaking up the
kingdom" complaints  ... city-states, while they might be in a kingdom /
empire, they were much more autonomous inside their walls / spheres of
influence and bound more by theirt own agenda's that that of the larger
political entity ...

though as history shows ... a viable stage in political evolution (time to dust
off the machiavelli perhaps ....)

'wolf
... it's always hard to see your child grow up and start making their own
decisions that are often at odds with your belief structures (g)

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves