SR - Principality Solution

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Fri Jul 10 08:20:41 PDT 1998

Heilsa all good and true Ansteorrans with a special Greeting to my right and
good sister Aquilanne...!

Aquilanne wrote, opined, and picked nits...

>Only if they wanted to. I don't know of any rules requiring the presence of
>the Crown at a Coronet Investiture.

True, there are no written rules governing the attendance of the Crown at 99%
of the events in this Kingdom. Although, do you not think that it would be
considered an insult to the incoming Coronet if the Crown _didn't_ attend Their
elevation? At least in the political arena that exists in the SCA today...

>It's not a principality that decides to elevate a person to peerage; the
>Crown decides when to elevate a person to peerage after consultation with
>the appropriate circle. Nothing changes in how people are recommended,
>voted on, and announced. As to whether the elevation takes place near the
>peerage candidate's home or at an out-of-town event is something that the
>Crown and candidate determine betwixt themselves, same as now.

Again, quite true. The appropriate Circle would be consulted and the Crown
would have Their Herald announce Their decision at Court.... Here is an
interesting thought... I do not know the answer to this one... The Crown has
the right to attend any meeting of the Orders / Circles They wish to... Does a
Coronet have the right to attend those same meetings within Their
Principality...?

>That's about it. Having a principality doesn't automatically reduce the
>Crown's travel burden, it merely offers the option.

Ya...the option is all that is offered. The result of that option would depend
on the obligation to duty the various Crowns would feel...

>Also, to pick a minor nit, Sir Kief said in an earlier post: "...with 3
>Principalities there would have been no area left for the Kingdom of
>Ansteorra to exist in..." Even if Ansteorra was comprised of 2, 3, 5 or 8
>Principalities, the Kingdom of Ansteorra would exist as a Kingdom comprised
>of--or, if you will, owning--principalities. Think about it. The Kingdom of
>Ansteorra doesn't exist only outside the city walls of the baronies and
>shires, it's comprised of every barony, every shire, and all the land and
>populace in-between. So, even if, for the sake of argument, there were,
>say, 3 principalities, and first one and then another principality were to
>become kingdoms, the remaining principality would remain Ansteorra, just as
>the remaining principality in Atenveldt (Principality of the Sun) retained
>the kingdom name Atenveldt after Artemisia became a kingdom.

To return your nit and raise you two... In my chats with the Kingdom Seneschal
and others, it was stated (to the best of my recollection) that the "Kingdom"
would have to "stand alone". In other words, no matter how few or many
Principalities are in a Kingdom, the Kingdom must continue to exist as a
separate, viable entity. With, at least, the minimum number of members required
by the "Rules"...

As to the latter part of your statement... True, the remaining land, after a P
or two became a K,  would have the _name_ of "Ansteorra". However, I will
advance this thought. Ansteorra is _not_ a name. Ansteorra is _all_ of her
People. Those in the dry West, the humid Coast, the wind swept North, the folks
in the Central heart, and in the Land of Rivers, the South. We are all part of
our own myth, our own legend. The Folk that follow the Sable Star in War as
well as in the gentler Arts... The People that give their homage and respect to
the Lion Thrones... Not a lessened and weakened people split into separate
"kingdoms"... We exist a ONE People, be we Celt or Cavalier, Visagoth or
Viking, Armored or Rapier combattant... We are of ONE Heart, even though we
have many minds and ideas... To actually divide this Kingdom into more would
lessen who we were, who we are, and deny the future to those that will come
after us. We are Unique and Singular, a "tribe" of individualists...

Principalities _will_ form here...of this I have no doubt. But, I desire to see
the Kingdom continue as it is. Great in size, great in Spirit and Heart, great
in the Prowess of the Warriors and Artisans, and great in Diversity... _Never_
will I support a movement that will separate Ansteorra into different Kingdoms.
So, if the move to form Principalities has that goal in mind...to make a new
Kingdom, then I will oppose it, to my last breath and drop of blood. If, on the
other hand, the move toward Principality is happening in thes pirit of Growth
and Unity. Then I will embrace it, nuture it, and gladly help it live and
breathe... But, not at the ultimate expense of the Kingdom of Ansteorra.

Again, we are not a name...we are a People...so, it's either all of us or none
of us. I would not see Ansteorra lessened in Her greatness...

>Aquilanne

I will await the storm...

Waes Thu Hael kinfolk and Sister...

Kief