SR - Principality Law

Rollie W. Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Thu Jul 16 22:06:57 PDT 1998

Remember that what is submitted with a Principality Petition is a
"Proposed Principality Law."  It is not actually Law until signed by
the Prince and Princess and Principality Seneschal(and the Crown and
Kingdom Seneschal as well, I think).  No matter what we put in it, and
how much support we have for those laws, they won't be laws until the
Prince signs them.  This gives the first Prince and Princess enormous
power.

For example, if I win the first Coronet Tourney and I am adamantly
opposed to term limits of any kind(I'm not), then you can bet that the
Law which gets signed will not have term limits in it.

For that reason I think that the discussion about some type of
Curia(Council advising the Coronet) is one of the most important
discussions we will have.  If we place into our law that the Coronet
cannot change the law without the approval of the Curia, then we have
some protection from the whim of the Coronet changing our permanent
body of law.

But remember, that the Coronet has to sign it for it to become law,
even the first one.  At least that is my understanding.  A
Principality need not have its own laws, but it must have a proposed
law to accompany the request for elevation to Principality status.

Now, if you give me a little time I can come up with a really
controversial proposal for a curia that will really stir the pot.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo