SR - Beginning new traditions

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 19 20:31:37 PDT 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> question, what happens when a person takes exception to being "weeded
> out" and being branded as not being "acceptable" ... what recourse would
> they have to clear their name?
>
> 'wolf

There are always the formal channels of complaint.  Of course, when it
is the Crown you are complaining about, things can escalate very quickly
to the board.  And even if your complaint is heard favorably, the Crown
Tourney in question is over, and the rumor mill has already started to
grind.  IMHO, that is why Crowns are often reluctant to do something as
drastic as barring someone from the Tourney. I was once given some very
sage advice by a friendly Scottish Duke (Count at the time), who shall
remain nameless.  At the time I was in a position of some responsibility
and was asked a question about something at an event, in the hearing of
this nameless royal person. I was about to give my wise and well thought
out answer, when Kein told me, "Don't....delegate this instead.  If you
take care of every problem personally, not only will you get
overwhelmed, but it leaves the individual concerned with no room for
appeal."  It's sort of like cracking walnuts with a sledge hammer.  Sure
it works, but it makes a mess of the walnut, and can sure hurt your
fingers when you screw up.  By letting the marshallate handle the
problems as much as possible, there is room for appeal and corrective
action as things progress up the food chain.  Sure, sometimes the walnut
turns out to be a big, mucking stone, and a sledgehammer is the only
tool that will work.  Then the crown does need to step in.  The trick is
knowing when it is a stone, and when its just a nut.

Graf Galen K.

--
Galen W. or Rebecca Bevel
galenbv at ix.netcom.com