SR - thoughts on city states ... different politics

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jul 5 23:27:40 PDT 1998

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, j'lynn yeates wrote:
> have always wondered about the possibility of "city states" ...

and someone e-eons (that is, real-world weeks) ago mentioned
"duchies" as a landed group.

> are they mentioned pro/con in Corpora ???

Corpora V.D.5:

   D. RESERVATIONS BY THE BOARD.  The Board specifically reserves unto
   itself the following functions with respect to branches of the Society:

      5. To authorize a branch or group of branches to experiment with
      a non-standard class of organization.  Any such authorization is
      specific to the branch obtaining it, and implies no license to
      other groups.

If it's just an alternate designation for a group (e.g., Ostgardr in
the East, which is called a Crown Province and ruled by a
Viceroy/Vicereign but is actually a barony with a funny hat), I would
imagine they'd have no problem.  If it's an alternate organization
(e.g., elective), I suspect they'd think about it more.

I'd like to see alternate organizations being explored.  I'd like to
not just be in the Nth principality ... *yawn* ...  Let's be the only
landed duchy!  Let's be a republic, maybe with an elected
Duke/Duchess!  (With an oligarchy as in period, of course.)

Daniel "an autonomous people's collective" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.