SR - Principality Solution

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 9 19:55:14 PDT 1998

Moriel queried:
>Everytime a Principality held a coronet tourney
>TRM of Ansteorra would need to be there for the coronation/investiture
>of the new CP/P wouldn't they?

Only if they wanted to. I don't know of any rules requiring the presence of
the Crown at a Coronet Investiture.

>What about when a principality wanted to
>elevate a  person to a peerage, wouldn't the Crown still have to travel
>there as well?

It's not a principality that decides to elevate a person to peerage; the
Crown decides when to elevate a person to peerage after consultation with
the appropriate circle. Nothing changes in how people are recommended,
voted on, and announced. As to whether the elevation takes place near the
peerage candidate's home or at an out-of-town event is something that the
Crown and candidate determine betwixt themselves, same as now.

>I do not see how the idea of one or many principalities can "lessen" the
>crown's travel except that the Crown would not feel/be as obligated to
>make it to all parts of the kingdom.

That's about it. Having a principality doesn't automatically reduce the
Crown's travel burden, it merely offers the option.

Also, to pick a minor nit, Sir Kief said in an earlier post: "...with 3
Principalities there would have been no area left for the Kingdom of
Ansteorra to exist in..." Even if Ansteorra was comprised of 2, 3, 5 or 8
Principalities, the Kingdom of Ansteorra would exist as a Kingdom comprised
of--or, if you will, owning--principalities. Think about it. The Kingdom of
Ansteorra doesn't exist only outside the city walls of the baronies and
shires, it's comprised of every barony, every shire, and all the land and
populace in-between. So, even if, for the sake of argument, there were,
say, 3 principalities, and first one and then another principality were to
become kingdoms, the remaining principality would remain Ansteorra, just as
the remaining principality in Atenveldt (Principality of the Sun) retained
the kingdom name Atenveldt after Artemisia became a kingdom.

Aquilanne