SR - Beginning new traditions

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jul 15 20:31:13 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> wrote:
> Rollie W. Reid said something that sounded like:
> > Term limits - Yea, okay.  I would prefer to see something on the
> > order of so many times with a few years.  Twice in four years
> > sounds good.  That way if someone wanted to win twice, they could
> > get it over with quickly.
>
> I have to say that my personal opinion is to only be able to do it
> every X terms. My suggestion was the same as Ivar's. One on 4 off.

Winning twice is more important for kingdoms, where you get a spiffier
title.  Once a prince, always a viscount.  (Winning multiple
principality lists also shows it wasn't a fluke, and allows you to hit
the ground running the second time.)

When you debate this, please keep different term limit concepts
distinct (and make sure the final law is precise!):

1) US: Maximum number of reigns or time-in-grade.  (E.g., the US
   presidency.)

2) Ivar: After serving as prince/ess, a person cannot fight or be
   fought for in the principality tourney for N months.  -- I suggest
   that because of incomplete reigns and failure of succession.  In
   *Ansteorran kingdom* law, if the Crown goes and there's no heirs,
   the most recent available previous crown comes in as regent to set
   up a crown tourney ASAP.  Having an extra coronet tourney would
   throw off the count of "cannot fight in the next N tourneys".

3) Off-key Conor (in-joke): no more than N times in an M month span
   (with an exception for complete failure).

4) Anyone think of any other variants?

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;