SR - Beginning new traditions

Paul KieferJr rapierman at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 14:02:36 PDT 1998

---Brian Martin <twinoak at shield.com> wrote:

> Pendaran's Comment:
>
> If we start limiting the number of times a person can win a list,.....

(etc., etc., etc.,....)

>..... You see, the key word there is competition. >Without fair and
open competition, skills stagnate and >people don't progress.

> Pendaran

Sounds like a philosophical discussion, which could easily turn into a
mundane political discussion.  So, without further ado, I will make my
comment here.  After that, let's keep it to email so we don't upset
the administrator.

To wit:

Lotsa folks could have easily said, "If a person wins on a continually
consistent basis, is that fair and open competition."

That's the "liberal" point of view.

Here's the "conservative" point of view:

How can you tell if you improved if you don't compete against the one
who won last time?  If you lose, is it because the person is in
cahoots with someone, or is it really because you weren't good enough
that particular day?

Here's my view:

If you don't win, you don't win.  Big deal.  Life isn't that bad that
yours hangs in the balance because of one bout, match, game, etc., and
I don't think anybody else is in that bad either....

or, as Will Smith once said:

"I don't mind if you lose, as long as you came with it."

Lord Johann Kiefer Hayden (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)