SR - SCA Laws

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 18 14:09:56 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Daniel de Lincolia--regarding the Midrealm's laws--says:

>The provisions I recall are that the Curia, the Great Officers of
>State, must approve all law changes, and a warranted seneschal and a
>warranted herald must be at all courts where anything official is
>done.

I've always wondered about this and about the so-called Republic of the
East.  How can their laws require this when Corpora specifically invests
within the Crown the right to legislate at the kingdom level?

>Mind you, I was SCA-raised in the Middle.  "The King's Word Is Law" is
>largely an alien notion to the medieval mindset, based on traditional
>rights and limited (by money and men if nothing else) monarchy.
>(Monarchical absolutism in the post-Roman West was first really tried
>in the Renaissance and 17th C.)  I'd *like* to see limits on royalty.

I concur.  Atenveldt--in response to the Erich and Nichelle reign--has now
changed their laws to require a sort of %ad hoc% parliamentary method for
creating/changing kingdom laws.  Basically, they have the same
differentiation between Statute and Edict currently in effect for
Ansteorra, with one major exception.  In order for a Statute to take effect
in Atenveldt it must meet one of two requirements:

(1) The law will not take effect until the following reign. Such a statute
must be signed by the Crown and their heirs.

(2) The law will take effect during the current reign.  This statute must
be approved by a majority vote of the barons and baronesses of the Kingdom.

>I suspect it'll be about as successful as my hopes of avoiding a
>Celtic or Norse name for the area.

Hey, I'm still pushing for Campoleon.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace