SR - SCA Laws

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Mon Jul 20 14:03:51 PDT 1998

Dennis and Dory Grace wrote:

> Salut Cozyns,
>
> Lyonel aisai.
> I've always wondered about this and about the so-called Republic of the
> East.  How can their laws require this when Corpora specifically invests
> within the Crown the right to legislate at the kingdom level?

As for the East, their Curia MUST be consulted, but not necessarily heeded..,
HOWEVER, the King that bucks the "suggestions" of Curia runs the risk of getting
vvveeerrrryyy little support for his measures.

It is actually the exact same for the Middle.  The Crown of the Middle is
empowered to change statute "only after obtainingsage cousel from the Curia
Regis...."  So even the Middle Crown is not BOUND, save in matters of finance
and making mundane contracts in the name of the Kingdom (when the curia MUST be
heeded.., no surprise since the decisions for both actually rest in the hands of
Seneschal(e) and Exchequer.., who are in Curia.)

Now maybe I'm a geek, but I think the Middle's laws are QUITE well organized. Of
course, I have last year's edition which might be the result of a major rewrite
since Daniel lived there.  I personally think that Ansteorra's laws a very
poorly organized, by comparison.

What makes the Curia systems work is the pressure they bring to bear on the
Crowns.., all quite period, mind you.  That means that for a Curia (type affair)
to work for us WE must be willing to insist that it works.., insist that the
Coronet heed the "sage cousel" of his council.

As for the signing of the first set of Principality Laws.  Hmmm.  The initial
set of laws will be "complete" as a result of the the official polling to
determine the success or failure of the whole shebang.  As such, it will be the
BoD/SCA Sen/Kingdom Sen who will be laying the Laws down on the desk for initial
signature.  I think that it would be a VERY difficult and embarrasing thing for
the 1st Coronet to do, NOT to accept them as is.

Kazimir