SR - Beginning new traditions

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jul 19 23:45:13 PDT 1998

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 stddly at SHSU.edu wrote:
> The Crown of this Kingdom has the right and duty to refuse entry
> into the Crown Lists of anyone They feel is unacceptable. I do
> believe that the Coronet should have that same right and duty. And,
> if needful, use it to prevent a very poorly qualified "second timer"
> from entering the Tournament.

How often does barring actually happen?  How often, in your opinion,
*should* it have happened?  I suspect that, for most people, the first
number is less than the second.  How much fuss and emotional pain does
barring / not barring cause?  I suspect it causes a fair amount.

What I've heard is that the SCA generally does not deal well with
nasty bastards (in the metaphorical sense) or incompetants.  Officers
stay in past burnout.  Groups get their treasuries ripped off (the
Steppes twice).  Abusers keep abusing.  All this because SCA people
want to be accepting, and trusting, and often problems fall between
the cracks, and SCA people don't want to play the heavy.

Automatic safeguards are useful.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;