SR - SCA Laws

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 21 10:29:37 PDT 1998

Meadhbh wrote:
>>Hmmmm.. a curia?   To be honest, I think it is way too much of a
bureacracy. <snip> I think the prince/princess should make the laws and
have them go thru the appropriate channel (be it seneschal, marshall,
treasurer, etc).<<

I tend to agree with Meadhbh here. While I believe firmly in the old saw
"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," I also believe that
people tend to live either up or down to your expectations, and if we
expect our princes/princesses to behave like nobility and act in the best
interests of the principality as a whole, that will be more likely to
happen. Of course, forming and maintaining those kinds of expectations
tends to fill the "preventative medicine" roll, too. I think we have a
region full of noble fighters and consorts who'd do a great job as
prince/princess, as well as a region full of strong-willed and noble
populace who won't lay down for the unlikely coronet who might think he/she
could act less than honorable. If we ever develop the need for something
like a curia, it's always an option. Until such time, I'm a bit more
comfortable operating on the honor system.

Aquilanne