SR - Principality Discussion (long)

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Tue Jun 2 08:50:54 PDT 1998

	During our Populous meeting in Bjornsborg last night we had a
brief
	synopsis and short talk about the Principality Discussion
meeting at the
	Rattestoet event hosted by Fynnon Gath (sp?). During this
discussion
	several people brought forth their impressions of the meeting
and Master
	Ivar, in his own particular idiom, seemed to be a focus for
getting
	others to gel their impressions into a cohesive form. I cannot
speak for
	others or even remotely for the feelings of "The Barony of
Bjornsborg",
	but I can tell you how it all came together for me and I wanted
to share
	these thoughts with all of you.

	<snip>
	Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)

	[Martin, Brian]
	Thank you, Lionardo, for shedding some light on the opinions
that are circulating about the principality discussions. I think that
you have done an excellent job of pinpointing some of the failures that
those of us who are in favor of the principality have had in
communicating why we're in favor of it. I can't count the number of
times that I've gotten excited about wanting to do something only to
have a difficult time trying to explain to others why I think it would
be fun to do. I have also been wondering why I keep hearing that people
think that I and a few others have been rushing things when all along
we've been saying that if this happens, it must be done slowly and
correctly. In the face of apathy, I can see how our comments can be seen
as over zealous. Perhaps if we can generate some discussion on
commonalties and culture in the southern region, more people will get
excited about the idea. If not, perhaps we're barking up the wrong tree.
I must also say, however, that every time we take a straw poll, the
clear majority of people are in favor of the idea. What does that mean?
Who knows. I just felt that it needed to be said. :)

	Lionardo (I love the spelling of that name) has stated that he
feels that the southern region seems to enjoy and foster persona play
more than other places. I happen to agree with this and its one of the
things that I truly love about this part of the kingdom. I'm not putting
down other places or those who don't care to play persona. To me,
playing persona is like fighting or cooking or anything else that we do
in the SCA: if you're into it, great. If your not into it, you don't
have to do it. Personally, I enjoy persona play and seemingly so do many
people in the region.

	Quite frankly, I feel that the southern region does a better job
of providing a mundane free atmosphere than other areas. I'm not putting
other places down - I enjoy going to other areas and have fun. Maybe my
feelings are just biased by regional pride - I don't know, but I do
think that its true.

	This is the type of culture that I would like to continue to
foster in the southern region. Please understand that I'm not talking
about a bunch of authenticity freaks running around telling everybody
what they're doing wrong. That's not fun its obnoxious. I'm simply
talking about an environment free of cars and other gross mundanities.
I'm talking about an environment that fosters creativity, good bardic
circles and less of a 20th century feeling. That's fun and that's what I
think about when I think about the culture in this region.

	Okay, I've rambled long enough and will pipe down for now.

	Pendaran