SR - Principality Discussion (Long)

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Wed Jun 3 07:53:20 PDT 1998

Greetings!

Lionardo said...

>Let me admit that I was quite excited by the idea of forming a
>Principality before the big meeting at Rattestoet. Afterwards I was less
>than enthusiastic. Master Ivar apparently summed it all together quite
>well. It was BORING!!!!

Me too. It seemed that everyone was waiting for the next step to happen,
while the first step was still being rehashed. Even though this was the
first "Official" principality meeting, so much of the same stuff had been
talked over on the net, *and* at Tempio, *and*at various populace meetings
that people were dulled to the conversation.

> There was nothing to sink our teeth into. Nothing exciting about
>the idea. Nothing to inspire any of us. And it made a few of the highly
>interested appear extremely over-zealous just because everyone else was
>so darn lackadaisical.

As one of the over-zealous (I think I spoke 3 times), let me say that most
of the meeting felt like preaching to the choir. IIRC there were 83 people
there. About 50-60 were there the whole time, with rest wandering in and
out. I dont have the vote totals but it was overwhelmingly in favor of
forming a principality.

The other total that wasnt recorded was the fact that THE GREAT MAJORITY of
the people were Paid Members. I asked all paid members to raise their hands,
and it was so many that Don Tivar asked all non-members to raise their hands
instead.  3 or 4 did, out of the 50-60 present at the moment. IIRC the total
paid members in the Southern region is about 240. Thats a pretty damn good
turnout for a little event that wasnt even on the calender.

If my number are incorrect, I apologize. I didnt write them down. I'm sure
someone will correct me

Lionardo continued....
>I don't think anyone will be very excited about the idea of forming a
>principality without something more to chew on. The list of names that
>was on the net was never presented. The motto we have discussed was
>never presented.

and Aquilanne added........

>I have to say I was disappointed that no talk at all about names or
>heraldry or mottos was brought up, and more than a little frustrated that
>old ground (even for those not on the net) was being covered yet again.

OK! So thats a few points to bring up at the next meeting(when is the
Shadowlands event?).

Point the first-       NAMES! (heck,the list off the net ought to work for now)
Point the second-   HERALDRY! (how about a dozen blazons to start off)
point the third-      MOTTO! (I've only heard one so far)

All these things can easily go into a FAQ that can be handed out in a
meeting with a sheet to vote for your favs.

Aquilanne continued..

>So. Is anyone interested in volunteering to lay out such a FAQ?  Who should
>be in charge of forming the committee?  How many folk should be on the
>committee?

>If someone volunteers to be our FAQ person, they would be in charge of
>researching Corpora and Kingdom law for the pertinent info (ideally the FAQ
>person will be someone already at least somewhat familiar with such stuff).
>Also,I just heard from Sir Burke. He's putting together a principality info
>packet that he says he should get out to me sometime next week.

OK, two different items. The committee and the FAQ. What do we want the
committee to do? They arent going to vote on anything, are they? IMHO,the
committe should be in charge of 'researching Corpora and Kingdom law for the
pertinent info" and collating it.  They should keep the records of the
votes, moderate the meetings, and be a focal point for folks to send in
suggestions (such as names & blazons).

The FAQ person should print up a FAQ for handouts at everyones meetings,
local populace, or regular events, or "official" principality meetings.

The FAQ should have (feel free to jumpin here)

1. Contact info for the Committee members, Regional group Senechals, B&B's
and officers. I know thats mostly in the Blackstar, but why not.....

2. Pertinent Corpora relating to principalities. It's all on the net allready.

3. A list of proposed names, arms, mottos.  This could be a center sheet
that you sign your name on, check off the ones you like, and turn it in.
Only check thew ones you want, that way it could be narrowed down every
other month or so, as items are rejected and/or new ones proposed

4. A few different maps with different proposals.

Anything else? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

I'll make a FAQ like this for the Shadowlands event. The proposed names will
be right off the Southern web page. I have 3-4 devices made up, send me ones
if you got 'em. Same with mottos......

Timo