SR - Heraldry & Names

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 3 23:26:46 PDT 1998

Daniel wrote:
>- a lion rampant, the standard posture, with a black star on
>his shoulder.  This is a moderately common period motif.
>Especially with lions, which were so common that they felt
>free to do more unusual things with them.
<snip>
>May I make a lobbying request?  I know of no examples in
>period heraldry of a star with greater and lesser points.
>Could we just use a standard 5-pointed star
<snip some more>
>The lion should be crowned, or "gorged of" a crown (wearing
>a crown as a gorget).
<snip some more to get to visual>
>\      /\      /
> \    /  \    /
>  \  /    \  /
>   \/      \/
>    \      /
>     \    /
>      \__/
>
>"Ploy{e'}" means bowing the edges in.  Heck, it's one of
>those cases where a picture is at least 1000 words.  It puts
>the laurel wreath at the bottom in its own compartment, and
>it's rather different from the usual SCA style.

I really like these ideas. I agree completely about the star. I think
having a standard heraldic black star of five points both pays homage to
the Kingdom and to our regional individuality simultaneously; a very
eloquent statement in my estimation.

I also like the idea of putting the laurel wreath in the lozenge-like shape
in base. I also like the idea of the lion being gorged of a crown, but I'm
not sure how good that would look with the star on its shoulder. If we go
with the star on the shoulder, I think the design might look cleaner if the
lion in simply crowned or the crown is in chief.

BTW, Daniel, what do you have so far on Campoleon or Campleone?

Aquilanne