SR - Reqs, Duties, & Powers (long)

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Thu Jun 4 08:51:13 PDT 1998

Good morning!

I earlier posted a list of (IMHO) some good qualifications for the committee....

>1. Be members in good standing. (i.e.: same reqs as to be officers)
>2. Have Regional and/or kingdom level officer experience
>3. Have Email access
>4. Be able to attend regional events & moderate meetings
>5. Ability to be impartial and fair with both sides(all sides?)

Most of which people seemed to agree with, with the possible exception of Email.

(Aquilanne)
> I don't want to alienate worthy folk from serving on the
>>committee for want of a computer.

Of course. These guidelines were off the top of my head. *Please* if you
have other ideas or suggestions post them.

I also posted 2 different committee makeup ideas......

7 members, one person from each group (8, since Emerald keep seems
interested), perhaps having one more person as committee head, like Sir
Kief, the Regional Seneschal.

3 members, and a support staff to record stuff and help.

The impression I got was that the 7-8 person committee was favored.

(Meadhbh)
>>I think the committee should be representatives of their group and report
>what the
>>group voted on.. whether it is their personal opinion or not.

*MY PERSONAL OPINION* I like a smaller committee, because large ones tend to
bog down.
Also a rough idea of what committee powers was posted......

>As I said before, I don't think the committee members should vote on
anything (except the final, mailed ballot). They could decide things like
pulling a proposed Name or Device off the list because it hasn't gotten any
votes or things like that. The biggest job would be collecting the
information, disseminating the information, maintaining a connection to the
Kingdom Seneschal(and Crown if necessary), and being the "Buck stops here"
point.

To which several people agreed that the committee should *not* have too much
power......

(Timo)

(Pug)
>>> Personally, I'd rather the committee tried to make sure all is fair and
>>> legit, and not make decisions.

(Aquilanne)
>Woohoo. Boy. Decisions *made* by the committee? In this region? Just the
>thought makes me want to giggle. Heeheehee.

(Duncan)
>One of the functions of the formation committee should be to act
>as a clearinghouse for ideas and proposals.

*Grin* I guess that's fairly easy to call.

*******PROPOSAL**********

 I'm not proposing that this be finalized over the net. I'm not proposing
that committee members be selected over the net. *BUT* I think that waiting
until Shadowlands/Gothic Wars in September is too long to go with out one.
Heck that's 3 months.

So what I'd like to do is mail this idea sheet below (not the FAQ) on the
committee to all the local seneschals and B&B's THIS MONTH for discussion at
their respective populace meetings.

OK! At the risk of getting slammed, here is my proposal for Guidelines,
Makeup, Duties, and Powers of the Committee on Forming a Southern Regional
Principality. (COFRPA)

        Idea Sheet on a Committee on Forming a Southern Regional Principality
                        (here after referred to as "The Committee")

The words 'Southern Region" may be used throughout this document. It is for
convenience sake only, as finalized borders may include other regions and/or
groups.

1. Requirements for Committee members:
        a. Be paid members of the SCA inc.
        b. Have experience as an officer (preferably at the regional or
Kingdom level)
        c. Ability to attend events and/or populace meetings to moderate
Principality discussion.
        d. Ability to deal fairly, neutrally, and honorably with all sides.
        e. Must live in the area under discussion for inclusion in the
Principality
        f. Email and Internet access is preferred.

2. Makeup of The Committee (two ideas)
	a. One member from each of the local groups involved. This number may rise
or fall as groups declare their intent to join or not join the Principality.

            *OR*

             b. A 3 member overview committee

	Others may assist The Committee as needed. (See 4. Powers of the Committee)

 3. Duties of The Committee
	a. To schedule meetings at events, populace meetings, etc. as needed to
discuss Principality issues.
	b. To moderate these meetings in a fair and impartial way.
	c. To maintain a channel of communication within the Regional seneschals
and Barons/Baronesses.
	d. To maintain a channel of communication with the Kingdom Seneschal and
The Crown of Ansteorra.
	e. To collate and disseminate information to and from the general populace
on matters such as Naming, Heraldry, Mottoes, Borders etc.

4. Powers of The Committee
	a. Committee members may appoint others to assist with record keeping,
Kingdom Law and Corpora research,  FAQ  writing, Principality law writing,
etc. as the Committee feels is necessary. These appointees shall not be
members of the Committee, and shall have no powers derived from such membership.
	b. Committee members shall have no vote on any issues brought up at
Principality meetings such as Naming, Heraldry, Mottoes, Borders etc.
	c.  The Committee may set timelines/deadlines regarding Principality
development in areas such as Naming, Heraldry, Mottoes, Borders etc. and any
other issues which the general populace shall vote on.
	d. The Committee may reject suggestions on Naming, Heraldry, Mottoes, etc.
when the suggestion is unacceptable due to Non-Period form/style, Conflict,
or other major problems which would prevent registration with the Laurel
Sovereign at Arms . All other suggestions shall be accepted and voted on by
the general populace.
	e. The Committee may narrow down suggestions on Naming, Heraldry, Mottoes,
etc. after sufficient time and voting has past to show a popular preference.
The Committee shall not choose a final idea, but may limit the final
populace vote to the 2 or 3 most popular
	 f. The Committee members may vote along with the general populace in the
final mailed ballot from The SCA inc.  (The YES or NO ballot)

I propose this be left for comment/addition for a week, then mailed to the
seneschals, B&B's for review at the local level. If they like it, maybe they
can vote on it,and choose a local member for the committee.

I really would like to see a committee formed before Pennsic, along with a
FAQ made up and sent out before Gothic war/shadowlands.

Timo