SR - The Bonwicke/Shadowlands dilemma

Michael A. Scofield ivarcat at juno.com
Tue Jun 9 18:26:55 PDT 1998

Dietter said:
SNIP
>[Dieterich leaps into his Dilemma Man ^tm suit]
>
>Okay, I don't think I can solve this one on a broad level but I will
>try to
>do what I can on a personal level.  I'll contact Kayleigh and Drake
>and
>Gothics autocrat and see if I can host a little afternoon chat... no,
>better- a tea!  An *iced* tea!  It can be unofficial and simply for
>the
>benefit of those who are interested in what's going on.  To keep those
>here
>who are upset by the idea of two meetings going on on the same weekend
>happy, I'll record no votes nor call for any.  The theme of the
>iced-tea
>will be the discussion (that means 'talk about it' for those who feel
>rushed... no 'action') about arms, names, mottoes, and the boundaries
>that
>have already been discussed.  Essentially, I'll print what is already
>on our
>Regional Web page and use it as both a flyer as well as a discussion
>guide.
>If the West would like to sip iced-tea with me, I'll make enough for
>all of
>us.  I'm going to the regional fighter practice in Shadowlands so I
>don't
>think they'll miss me at their event.
>
>I'll wait til I get a little feedback here before I go ahead with this
>but
>realize that this will be a *personal* effort by *me* at Gothic rather
>than
>a Regional effort.  I do think that we as a region should support
>Shadowlands.
>
>Okay, so gimme the word?  What do y'all think?
>
>Ritter Dieterich

Dietter, I find this an admirable offer.  First of all, to volunteer to
try to get some of the information all of us in the SR have available,
either on the list or from those on the list passing it on, to the folks
in the Western Alliance is a good thing since there has been some
interest in the two groups joining. Secondly, because of the scheduling
problem many of the people who might otherwise go to Gothic will be going
to Shadowlands to support the Incipient Principality. I may in fact go to
Gothic to sit around and drink your tea.

Since this offer came out , I have read several outrageous messages
against it. To me, many of the messages essentially say you can not talk
about the Principality at Gothic Wars. My first reaction is to tell those
who feel that way that they can not talk about the Principality to anyone
who stops by at their house. Same damned thing. When we are at an event
our camp site is our home. If I want to make a rule in my camp that you
can only talk about raids on Wales, that is my pejorative, and being an
honorable bunch of folks, most everyone would abide by my rules (recall
Cariodoc's camps). If I want to talk about, and hand out information that
is available to everyone in the SR, at an event in let's say Northkeep,
why can't I?

If people think that giving out information in an unofficial manner, in a
persons camp at an event is improper, then ALL DISCUSSION OUTSIDE OF THE
FORMAL MEETINGS AND ON THE NET MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY! Sorry about the
yelling, but damn it  the idea that people can't talk about this whenever
and wherever they want is absolutely ludicrous. And I for one will fight
tooth and nail against anyone telling me who I can talk to and what we
can talk about.

If someone feels that it is wrong, then go to Gothic Wars and sit in
Dietter's camp, if he will let you, and make sure they don't do anything
you think is wrong. Otherwise shut up, the man is trying to help with the
problem of communication, and many of you seem to think this is bad.

Sorry folks, these messages saying this can't happen got this old mans
dander up. I'll defend our right of free speech against anyone!

Ivar