SR - newsletters and regional funds

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 12 13:26:00 PDT 1998

Hi all,

Got some stuff for us to look at doing. After talking to people here and
there, there seems to be a consensus that we need a SR newsletter. Of
course, newsletters require someone to do the initial layout and copying
and mailing, and that copying and mailing require $$$.

So. I was thinking (aaarrrggghhhh! hit the deck!)--I know that Baroness
Crystal is regional chronicler, but I don't know what her desktop
publishing capabilities are. (Does anyone know? Is she on line?)  I'd be
willing to do the layout and such if she doesn't have DP capabilities. As
for funding, first off let me congratulate Mirrim for stepping up to the
regional treasurer's office (when's that happening, anyway?). Being
fortunate enough to live in the same barony where she's held the same
office, I can say that we're lucky to be getting someone of her capability
to take on the regional office.

So, Mirrim, what do we need to do to get an account started? Once we have
an account, I was thinking that each group could make a donation to the
account based on the number of local populace members of, say, $1 per
active member. That should give us between $200 and $300 for the first
issue, which would go out to each paid member in the region. Then folks
could have the option of subscribing (for something like $12 a year if we
do a monthly newsletter, or like $5 a year if we do a quarterly newsletter)
to keep up with regional doings.

As our regional events start coming together, donations from event profits
can be donated to the regional account and we can start growing our bank
account with an eye to having money to pay for stuff like regalia projects
when/if we go principality. A healthy regional account could eventually
grow large enough to front things like maybe a cool interregional war or
somesuch. The possibilities are numerous.

Also, principality or no, I'd like for us to settle on a name by the end of
the year. I want to be able to name our first A&S event after *our* name
for our region as opposed to the nondescript "Southern Region" default name
we've been given.  Between the FAQ, this list, talking at events and
meetings, and, hopefully, getting a newsletter going, everybody should have
more than ample opportunity to toss in suggestions in time to vote on a
viable name in 6 months.

What do you guys think?

Aquilanne