SR - Naming Conventions

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Mon Jun 22 14:11:29 PDT 1998

Martin, Brian wrote:

> Okay comrade, so what's the Russian for "land of the southerners" or
> "south lands" or some other such thing?
>
> Pendaravitch Glamorganov

Dorogoj moj stranoimennyj drug, syn Pendar, roda Glamorgan:

The problem with this would be the modern perception of the Russian word for
South.  It would be either "yuzh" or .., "yug."  As in Yugo-slavia..,meaning the
southern slavs.  I doubt many people are going to want "Yugo" (and all it's
connotations) associated with a principality name ;-).  A southern person would
be called a "yu-ZHAHN-nin", masculine form; or "yu-ZHAHN-ka", feminine form.

As an aside, "Levgorod" (pronounced LYEV-gorod) would mean "City/Home of the
Lion."

I still think I would like Norse better.

Kazimir