SR - Awards, was Principality???? (long)

Donal & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Mon Jun 22 17:54:55 PDT 1998

Pug Bainter wrote:

(snip)
> On a more serious note, a pompous herald (his words!) told a class
> something this weekend that may have been a reason in favor of doing
> a Principality. He said that only upto AoA level can be awards can be
> given by Barons and Baronesses. Is this really the case or is it just
> tradition? I couldn't find it in Corpora, but that doesn't mean it's
> not there.

Corpora VI.A.1.e.(3) states:
 Royalty may delegate unto any subject the execution of any legitimate
royal power for a specific instance, such as the transmission of an
award to an individual named and selected by them, subject to the laws
and customs of the realm. (See VI.A.1.f.4.)

> If it is the case, I can see another set of Royalty being able to hand
> out Grant level awards as a "good thing".

Since it is not the case, I still don't see the need. I would be very
honored to receive an award scroll from, say Baroness Mirrim of
Bristol, if the Crown could not attend an event; in any case, the
scroll would be signed by the Crown, with Mirrim acting as a
representative.

> NOTE: I am not saying that the Crown would not have to approve it, only
> whose hand it comes from at an event.

The Crown quite definitely has to approve any kingdom award (read: not
specific to the principality), though they may delegate the authority
to make an armigerous principality award as follows (VI.A.3.b):
Awards (See VII.B.4)

(1) The Coronet may establish and present non-armigerous awards
specific to their principality.
(2) They may acknowledge the attainment of Viscounty rank by those who
have met the requirements.
(3) They may make armigerous awards only where the right has been
formally delegated to them by the Crown. Any such general delegation
extends only to subjects of their principality; the Coronet must
obtain specific authorization from the Crown for armigerous awards to
other persons. (See VI.A.1.a.9. for definition of "armigerous".)

Note that the Crown must still approve and sign every armigerous award
scroll given out other than those principality awards which are
armigerous.(And rightly so.)

> Btw, I just read something in Corpora that has me quite shocked:
(snip)
> I think they just threw the idea of Court Baronies of being able to give
> out awards at events. Although Court Baronies are nobility, they are not
> royalty.
Not really. The trick word is "bestow". No matter who gives it to you,
your award proceeds from the authority of the Crown in some fashion.
They can have anyone they like convey the news to you, but the award
is _given_ by the Crown.

Donal