SR - A Question Concerni

CAB cab at spaustin.zilker.net
Tue Jun 23 10:20:05 PDT 1998

                      RE>SR - A Question Concerning Principality   6/23/98

Well,  I `ll take a stab at this question.

First, I would like to say that I didn't know that we needed a reason NOT to
change things.  I didn't realize that "We like it the way it is" isn't good
enough.  Of course being the Aggie that I am, I tend to think that "If you
have something great already, you shouldn't change it."

But, if you need a reason not to become a principality, I can give you a
couple off the top of my head.

1) I don't want to be part of a principality of people who only want play with
themselves and no one else.  (I can tell you that people from both the Coastal
and Northern Regions believe that Austin and San Antonio people only play with
their local groups.  Now, I know that this is a generalization, but it still
seems pretty true when Stargate gets more knights to attend the Southern
Regional Fighter practice than the Southern Region.  Having also been autocrat
of some events in this region, I can say that in general, if you plan an
event, you can count on your local people and then kingdomwide people to
attend, but you really can't count on the rest of the region to bother to show
up and support you.)

2) I don't want to be part of a principality of people who want to break up
this great kingdom just so that they can have "spiffy-er titles".

3) I don't want to be part of a principality that isn't even taking care of it
own people.  I lived in the Shadowlands for 5 1/2 years  (during which time
there was not one single peer living there) and I was seneschal there for a
time.  And I didn't see the southern region making any effort to help us out.
Now I will allow that there are a few individuals from this region that did
come on occasion to help us,  but we got as much (if not more) support from
Stargate than we ever got from the entire Southern region combined. I can't
believe that you think that as a principality you can take care of your
smaller groups when you can `t even do it now.  If you form a principality -
do you really think Baronys outside of the Principality are still going to
want to help the little groups?

Crystal