SR - A Question Concerni

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 23 10:58:39 PDT 1998

Aquilanne here.

Crystal wrote:
>Of course being the Aggie that I am, I tend to think that "If you
>have something great already, you shouldn't change it."

Having read this post in its entirety before responding, I'm wondering--how
great do you *really* think this region is if you believe it's full of
people who want nothing more than a "spiffier title" and to be "bigger fish
in a smaller pond"?

First example of why I question this:

>1) I don't want to be part of a principality of people who only want play
with
>themselves and no one else.

You're already part of this region which is in turn part of Ansteorra (as
would be any principality we formed). Do you *really* believe that the folk
in this region only want to play amongst themselves? Aren't each and
everyone of these people toward whom you're being so ungenerous an
Ansteorran? You're sending mixed messages here.

>2) I don't want to be part of a principality of people who want to break up
>this great kingdom just so that they can have "spiffy-er titles".

Once again you're making some *very* ungenerous assumptions about your
fellow countrymen, Ansteorrans every one.

>3) I don't want to be part of a principality that isn't even taking care
of it
>own people.  I lived in the Shadowlands for 5 1/2 years  (during which time
>there was not one single peer living there) and I was seneschal there for a
>time.  And I didn't see the southern region making any effort to help us
out.
>Now I will allow that there are a few individuals from this region that did
>come on occasion to help us,

Well, which is it? Are people making an effort or are they not? Again,
mixed messages. Also, what kind of "help" were you looking for? Did you ask
for help? Just as a matter of logistics, events in larger cities that are
on major highways are always going to be better attended as a rule. Just
because Shadowlands doesn't always get the same proportion of out-of-town
event attendence doesn't necessarily equate to "this region doesn't support
it's smaller groups."

>If you form a principality -
>do you really think Baronys outside of the Principality are still going to
>want to help the little groups?

Here I have to ask if you truly believe that people from Stargate, or from
other Baronies, are so petty or so wierd as to stop coming to events in
smaller groups just because we form a Principality? You're sharing some
pretty negative attitudes and some serious doubts about the people of this
kingdom that you apparently have. You have been active here longer than I
have and you could be right; Ansteorra  and the Southern Region *could* be
full of the kind of folks you've outlined here. However, Ansteorra and the
Southern Region could just as well be full of wonderful folk, and that's
the assumption *I* intend to hold on to. I've learned a long time ago that
people will tend to fulfill your expectations of them, so you need to be
careful what you expect.

I think this region is full of neat people. From all I've seen, a whole lot
of these neat people want to get together and create something. As an
artist, I have a hard time understanding some people's fears of creation.
As idealistic realist, I have a hard time understanding what folk get out
of assuming the worse motives of others. I think we owe each other better
than that. I think the folk of the Southern Region and of Ansteorra deserve
better than that.

Aquilanne