SR - A Question Concern

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jun 23 22:42:09 PDT 1998

"Bob Dewart" <gilli at seacove.net> wrote:
> According to the CAPORA,  only Staining members actually have a say in
> matters like this.  However, I understand they've allowed any paid member to
> voice.

I *try* not to be a staining member, really I do!

It's really a pettyfogging point, because I think it's highly unlikely
that paid members and others will differ significantly on the issue,
and for other reasons I list at the end.

But that's never stopped me before from discussing minutiae!

Your contentions happen not to be the case.  The on-line Corpora at
http://www.sca.org/docs/corpora.hbk.html has, under V.B.1:

    a. Society members who wish to form a branch or advance an
    existing branch or group of branches in status must first
    determine whether the area they have in mind is eligible for such
    treatment. This process shall involve consultation with the
    Kingdom (and Principality, if any) Seneschal, and with the
    Seneschals of any nearby branches.

    b. The members shall reach a consensus as to a proposed name (and
    device, where required), and register with the College of Arms as
    indicated for a branch of the proposed type before any petition
    for recognition can be granted.

    c. After executing the provisions of V.B.1.a and <1.b above, the
    populace of the affected area shall prepare a petition for the
    proposed action, setting forth the proportion of their numbers
    favoring the move, and the manner in which the requirements have
    been met.

About "members": the By-Laws (at
http://www.sca.org/docs/bylaws.hbk.html ) defines members to include
sustaining, contributing, international, associate, family, and
organizational.  Associate is non-subscribing, but has all the
privileges of membership "except where another membership type is
specifically required".  Family membership is a species of associate.
Organization membership has no privilege except for being able to
subscribe (by a library or school).

Up at I. it has

   The Society also permits very broad participation by people who are
   not members as defined in the By-Laws, but no organ of the Society
   can be required to solicit or heed their views in polls regarding
   branch status, awards, or any other situation where the opinion of
   the populace is to beconsulted.  Law, custom, or actual practice
   may allow consultation with nonmembers, but it cannot be required.

Since V.B.1.c above says "populace", we *could* poll members and
non-members alike for the petition for support.  We simply can't be
*forced* to.

I repeat that it's pettyfogging because
- I think it's highly unlikely that paid members and others will
  differ significantly on the issue.
- I think the custom is to poll for name and armory at the same time
  as the poll for support, and the name/armory ballot is specifically
  for members.
- It's highly unlikely that the Powers What Be would allow polling of
  non-members.
- It'd be more difficult to poll non-members -- you don't have their
  addresses in the subscription lists that SCA branches can get from
  corporate HQ in Milpitas.  Plural voting would also be a concern.

Still, I'm curious about what people who are not paid members think.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.