SR - A History of Principalities

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 25 11:32:39 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here

Yesterday, I asked this figuring someone would chime in and give an answer:
>Could someone give statistics including the year of >elevation to kingdom and the amount of time from >principality to kingdom for the other kingdoms?

>I feel that the statistics will probably show that the old >days are gone and it now takes many years to make >the transition.  This may help to quell the fears of >many people in the region who feel that if we went >principality that we would soon no longer be >Ansteorran.  Many of us may be too old to care by the >time it happens.

Well nobody chimed in with an answer so I did it myself.  Here it is an age history of SCA principalities.
I figure this will give everyone a semi-quantitative standpoint on the worries about becoming a non-Ansteorran if we become a principality.

The list is in chronological order of when they became a principality as far as I can tell.  Note that due to my sources that the dates are listed AS wise.  Note that the dates are not exact because some were in transition a long time. In parenthesis is the kingdom in which the principality is located if still a principality.

Principality               Principality   Kingdom     Years
___________              _______        ______        ______
Antir                              ASVIII      ASXVI            8
Caid                              ASIX        ASXIII            4
Atlantia                         ASXI        ASXVI            5
Sun (Atenveldt)             ASXI        defunct
Meridies                        ASXI        ASXII             1
Ansteorra                      ASXII       ASXIV            2
Outlands                       ASXII       ASXXI            9
Mists (West)                   ASXIV     not
Cynagua (West)             ASXIV     not
Drachenwald                 ASXV      ASXXVIII      13
Calontir                         ASXVI     ASXIX            3
Trimaris                         ASXVI     ASXX             4
Oertha (West)                ASXVII     not
Lochac (West)               ASXXII      not
Artemisia                      ASXXIII     ASXXXII         9
Ealdomere (Middle)      ASXXIII     not
Aethelmarc                   ASXXIV     ASXXXII        8
Northshield (Middle)     ASXXIX      not

If this is resorted so that the kingdoms are sorted by age, then the length of time from principality to kingdom is (in years) 1, 4, 2, 5, 8, 3, 4, 9, 13, 9, and 8.
Averages are 5-6 years as a principality if becoming a kingdom.  But if you look at the trend, there is a trend for a kingdom to be a principality for an increasingly long length of time before becoming a kingdom.

>From this I would deduce that if we were to become a principality (which I figure would take at a minimum of 3 years depending upon the support for the issue), that it would probably take an additional 8-10 years to become a kingdom.  By then we would probably be thinking of ourselves as residents of whatever the principality was named as much as Ansteorrans.

Norman White
a.k.a. Jin Liu Ch'ang
gn-white at tamu.edu