SR - principality reasoning

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jun 28 14:50:36 PDT 1998

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Dennis and Dory Grace <amazing at mail.utexas.edu>
wrote:
> The Barony of 1000 Eyes in Artemisa has an award called the
> Peacock's Heart. Would any subsequent "Heart" names also have to be
> so modified?

Nope, and for the same reason that Namron's name is clear.  Adding an
adjective (other than a branch name) to an unmodified noun clears
conflict.  Since everyone else has gone with Dragon's Heart and
Griffin's Heart and Peacock's Heart and Rabid Woodchuck's Heart of the
Barony of the Mystic Unicorn Grove, the field is clear for plain
Heart.  If ya want the gory details, it's SCA College of Arms Rules
for Submission V.2.c.  Since I have it on-line, I can easily quote it
on demand.

Wolf suggested "Lion's Mane".  I will give two answers, and I hope
that people will *clearly* distinguish between what is registerable
and what I advise.

1) I believe it to be registerable and free of conflict as of 12/97.

2) I suggest avoiding it because it's of such a common pattern in the
   SCA -- "<totemic animal>'s <body part>".  For example, let me list
   the registered "Dragon['][s][ ]X":

        Dragon Forge, Canton of
        Dragon Principal Herald
        Dragon Run Household
        Dragon Watch, House
        Dragongrotto, House
        Dragonkeep, House
        Dragonlake, House
        Dragon's Aerie, Canton of
        Dragon's Barb, Order of the
        Dragon's Blaze, Order of the
        Dragon's Blood, Order of the
        Dragon's Claw, Order of the
        Dragon's Eye, Order of the
        Dragon's Eyrie, Household
        Dragon's Flight, Award of the
        Dragon's Foot, Order of the
        Dragon's Gem, Order of the
        Dragon's Grace, Order of the
        Dragon's Heart, Order of the
        Dragon's Jewel, Order of the
        Dragon's Laire, Shire of
        Dragon's Mark, Shire of
        Dragon's Mist, Shire of
        Dragon's Pride, Order of the
        Dragon's Scale of Sundragon, Order of the
        Dragon's Spawn, Order of the
        Dragon's Tear, Order of the
        Dragon's Teeth, Award of the
        Dragon's Tooth, Order of the
        Dragon's Treasure, Award of the
        Dragon's Vale, Shire of
        Dragon's Wing, Order of the
        Dragonsfire Tor, Canton of
        Dragonsspine, Barony of
        Dragonstone, Shire of
        Dragoun's Weal, Shire of

   Poor Dragon has been so carved up, about the only things left are
   his bones and some of his internal organs.  Note: I'm omitting
   Drach- and Drake- names (like Drachenwald, fer instance).

   The lion hasn't suffered so much at the hands of the butchers:

        Lion
        Lions Arrow
        Lion's Blood
        Lion's Claw
        Lions End
        Lions Gate
        Lion's Heart
        Lion's Library
        Lions March
        Lions of Ansteorra: Defenders of the Dream
        Lion's Paw
        Lion's Rapier
        Lion's Tower
        Lionsdale
        Lyon and Unicorn
        Lyon
        Lyondemere

   Perhaps you see why I'm so jaded about two-word SCA award names.

   An exception to my opinion: if the animal and the thing happen to
   go together in mythology or medieval belief, like the Golden
   Fleece, I think it a fine thing.  Lion's Heart and Augean Stables
   are taken, alas.  Lion's Den is not (yet), however.

Daniel of the Mystic Sable Lion's Heart of Ansteorra
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.