SR - committee concept clarification

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 4 13:04:47 PDT 1998

Meadhbh said:
>My statement had nothing to do with the size of the committee. You can
have one
>representative from each group. All I want to see is that person represent
the group
>NOT their personal interests no matter what it is. This does not
necessarily mean the
>committee member has voting power.meadhbh

OK. Maybe some clarification is needed here. The committee we're all
talking about is not a governmental entity, it is a *paperwork* entity, and
a temporary entity at that. There will be no issues dealt with that would
need shire/barony representation, especially as the committee is not there
to vote on anything; the populace will represent itself as items come up to
vote on . (I'd like to add my support of the idea of committee members not
getting a vote on such things as heraldry, names, etc, for reasons stated
by others already.) Committee members will have no real "power" as such,
they will mainly be compiling and coalating and disseminating information.

With that said, I'd like to point out that rather than pre-determine *how
many people* will be on the committee, we need to distill *needs* first,
then find the people to fill them. How many people come from which group is
entirely unimportant; talent and inclination is what's needed.

1) For example, Kazamir has already expressed an interest in researching
and compiling a preliminary draft of Principality law based on his knowlege
and experience. I, for one, would second or support his bid for a position
on the committee based on a *need* for Principality law research and
compilation.

2) Another area of need is for Name/Heraldry conflicts/viability research
for choices for the populace to eventually vote on. Would we deal with
these as a combined heraldry research issue, or would we want one person to
research Names suggestions and another person to research Heraldry
suggestions? (As a clarifying note,  we'd vote separately on name and
heraldry suggestions once we're presented with viable choices.) Daniel?
What is your opinion on this? For that matter, would you be willing to be
on the committee for one or both of these issues? I don't believe I could
think of a better choice for that particular job.

3) There would be a need for someone to keep track of collecting and
coalating notes from principality discussion meetings. Aethelyan is already
doing this, and has volunteered to continue doing so, so I would suggest
that she is already part of the committee.

4) There is a need for moderation of principality discussion meetings.
Tivar has acted as moderater twice, Kief has co-moderated the first
"official" meeting. Tivar has proved a fair and impartial moderater, as has
Kief, and Kief is, after all, Regional Seneschal, so either one or both of
them could (if willing, of course) continue to be in charge of moderating
meetings and keeping track of meeting schedules.

5) The FAQ person/team could be considered another element of the
committee, as there is a need for addressing general information questions
the populace might have. I believe that would be Timo and Lionardo and I
who've volunteered to do this work at this time.

What other specific needs do others see as needing to be addressed at this
time?

I think we need to keep in mind that this Committee is not supposed to be
some bureaucratic, decision-making entity, it's mostly a loose collection
of interested individuals doing work that they have a background and
interest in. It's a collection of people who can act as contacts. There's
no need to set a required number of members (besides, who of us would be in
charge of setting such numbers, anyway? ;->). The committee can acquire new
members as we go along and new needs come up that need to be addressed.

The thing is, these are people who are willing to do work, and would be
(and in several cases already are) doing the work regardless of whether
they were considered part of a "committee" or not. Calling it a committee
just gives enough of an idea of structure so people will know who's doing
what work, and will feel confident of who to go to to ask questions.

Aquilanne