SR - Principality Preps Task Group

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Sat Jun 6 21:20:58 PDT 1998

Dennis and Dory Grace wrote:

> Okay.  I really have no *problem* with folks from every group volunteering
> to help--if they volunteer.  So far, however, that hasn't happened.
> Lionardo, Kazimir, Timo, Kief, Aquilanne, Duncan, Tivar, Aethelyan, Daniel,
> Corwin, and AElfwyn are the volunteers I've seen thus far (let me know if
> I've missed anyone).  That covers Bjornsborg, Raven's Fort, Bryn Gwlad, and
> Ffynnon Gath.  I don't think anyone is trying to exclude the other groups,
> but if no one from Middleford, Tempio, or Shadowlands volunteers, what
> would you have us do?  I don't favor conscripting unwilling labor for this
> sort of task group.

I had stated previously that if a group chose NOT to send a representative, that
was their choice.

> Again, I'd like to see some examples of the sort of injustices you're
> foreseeing.  I've tried, and I just can't picture it.

Considering all the representatives are from the Baronies, IMHO, i think the
populace in the shires will feel they don't have a say in this. I'm not saying
they wouldn't. But, when you are in a smaller group, it can be difficult to have
your voice heard by the larger groups. I would hope the seneschals of those groups
have been contacted, let them know that their input is welcome and see what
happens. If no volunteers come forward, then fine.At least they were given the
opportunity.

> Actually, this is exactly the sort of grotesque, parliamentary organization
> I was hoping to avoid.  Three people volunteering to put a FAQ together
> strikes me as reasonable.  A seven-city committee editing said FAQ sounds
> like a formula for stagnation.  Imagine how often we'd get a Black Star out
> if every group in the kingdom had to edit it.

I still think it is important for the committee members to at least review the
information, make any additions/corrections before this information goes out to
the populace.  The FAQ is not as time sensitive as the Black Star, so having all
members review it should not be a problem. I guess I view the Task Group
differently than you do. I see members working on separate projects and bringing
them to the group for comment before going to the populace.  This way any
potential problems can be fixed before it is distributed.

> Similarly, I can see one person (Kazimir has volunteered) putting together
> a set of *non-binding* proposed principality laws.  Everyone will have
> plenty of time to read his proposal, edit, and offer comments for revision.
>
> As for money, no one has asked for financial support yet, but I don't
> anticipate any real problems.  We don't have a regional account, so we
> can't assume a bankroll for a large-scale regional project.  My guess is
> the volunteers will print up copies for the seven seneschals and let each
> group absorb the cost of distributing copies to members.

That could be asking a lot of the smaller groups, with smaller bank accounts. I
doubt it will affect our group or the other baronies. I would hope all the groups
would choose to get the information copied and out to all members of the populace.

> Aquilanne and Timo have already discussed the possibility of distributing
> follow-up letters to supplement any lack we (the folks of the region)
> perceive in the first FAQ.
>
> Overall, I think I support the amorphous mass model Daniel de Lincolia
> proposed for the heraldry group.  Remember, we're not talking about a
> senate here, just a task group.

I realize this is not a senate. A task force doesn't necessarily have a vote on
any particular subject. The members should work together in getting out
information that is correct and accurate.

In service,
Meadhbh