SR - Donations (was Re: newsletters and regional funds)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 17 19:42:58 PDT 1998

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 mirrim at texas.net wrote:
> Or put a donation jar at the gate table.

Let me tangent off onto a soapbox for Daniel's Pet Peeve #417.

Why do we talk about "hosts" and "guests" at our events, and "friends"
visiting, when we charge *mandatory* admission?  The term for that is
not "guest".  It's "paying customer".  Who charges friends admission
to their house?  Who charges mandatory admission to their wedding?
Why then should we charge friends in our halls?  And then we ask them
to volunteer their labor!

I am very much in favor of donation events.  I think some groups do it
with great success.  One reason: If you charge me $N, I'll pay exactly
$N.  If you say the site cost around $M, I'm likely to be more
generous -- to pay for those who are not fortunate enough to be an
overpaid computer nerd.  I think other people in the Society do
likewise.  I'd bet that an event would not suffer at all for a
donation policy.

There are groups with large treasuries; they can especially afford to
do this.

Is there experience in Ansteorra with donation events?

Daniel "alms for the barony, sahib ... alms ..." de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.