SR - Motivation

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 25 19:18:13 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Donal says:

>I have asked this before, and will again. Where are they _now_? All
>these "people who are willing to do the work", are they supposed to
>pop out of the woodwork as soon as a principality is formed? Is there
>some stigma to holding a regional or kingdom office, that does not
>apply to principality ones? I ask this in all seriousness. Two of my
>regional officers are doubling from branch officers, several of my
>staff positions are open and likely to remain that way, and another
>regional officer went and got himself made Crown Prince - and I have
>received _two_ applications for that office. I had to practically
>draft someone - twice - to fill this region's herald's office. We
>don't really have a regional treasurer yet due to administrative
>hoo-hah, and Donald was filling in for one of his regional offices for
>6 months. Is it necessary to have a pretty title, and be assured of a
>pretty cookie, before work gets done? If that's the case, then those
>"people who are willing to do the work" can just sit right back down,
>as far as I'm concerned.

I think you've answered some of your own questions here, Donal.  Consider
this:  you're having trouble filling jobs within the herald's office, and
you've just posted a letter to the Southern Region saying--in effect--that
you don't want volunteers who have different agendas from your own.  Now,
you're the Kingdom Herald, Donal, so as far as I'm concerned, you can set
whatever criteria you like for your deputies, but I don't think you're
leaving yourself much room for sympathy, here.

Allow me to elucidate with an example or two:

Lord X frequently cleans the toilets for the autocrat, and he does a
thorough and conscientious job.  Lady Z builds a fancy new database for the
online OP and also does a throrough and conscientious job, putting in some
hundred odd hours in the process. Eventually we're going to want to reward
them for their efforts.  One way to reward those efforts is with a service
award (yes, we all know about largesse as an option).

Following Donal's reasoning, if either Lord X or Lady Z were to admit that
they did the work specifically because they *wanted* a service award, we
should not only deny them the award, we should *refuse to let them do the
work.*

If the toilets get cleaned--if the OP gets compiled--what difference the
source of the workers' motivation?

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace