SR - The Loss of a Lion

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Mon Mar 16 11:23:13 PST 1998

	Greetings All,

	There is little, if anything, that can be said about Ricardo that
measures up to the man. What adjectives does one use? Passionate? Full
of life? Showman? Somehow they all seem to fall short of describing
Ricardo.

	Ricardo was one of those people that you didn't meet so much as you
experienced them. One doesn't really meet a force of nature and that
is what Ricardo always reminded me of. He was so strong, so full of
life, always boiling over with passion, desire, wit and other unworthy
adjectives. I'm glad that I was able to experience Ricardo for he was
one of my greatest influences in the society. I remember once telling
Baroness Seanna that my greatest goal in the SCA was to be a cross
between Ricardo, Iolo and Ragnar. To which Seanna replied, "My, but
are an ambitious young man."

	People will talk about Ricardo's feats upon the field. I've seen him
cut down the foemen as though we were mowing hay, but I'll also
remember the twinkle in his eyes when he was up to some mischief. I'll
remember they that he's twist mustache and wriggle his eyebrows as his
mischief deepened. I'll remember Ricardo, stronger than most two men,
a bold hero in war and I'll remember Ricardo, crying at the loss of
his dear friend and brother Lion when Ragnar passed.

	Well now I cry at the loss of another brother Lion. Our kingdom has
suffered too much of late from such tragedies. Added to the other
tragic losses is the loss of two Lions in the last fourteen months.
The Pride has been diminished but it is strong. The Pride will have to
be strong because its lost two of its very best and its up to the rest
of us to live up to Ragnar's and Ricardo's legacy.

	Ansteorra, grieve for the loss of Ricardo because we have lost
someone that made us who and what we are. Those of you knew Ricardo
know what I'm talking about. Those of you who didn't know Ricardo but
who fought at the Gulf War with Ricardo's name on all of our lips have
some idea. With each battle cry of "Ricardo!" Ansteorrans fought like
lions. It made me proud and it would have made Ricardo proud, too.

	When remembering Ricardo, remember the things that made him great and
try to emulate those aspects of Ricardo. In doing so, his legacy will
live on and continue to make Ansteorra great.

	Pendaran
	"Try Harder"