SR - Crown Tourney: Riccardo's Sword

PKieferjr PKieferjr at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 16:01:41 PST 1998

Greetings, m'lords, m'ladies, and good gentles all,

Recall the sword of the late Sir Riccardo di Pisa, Lion and Hero of Ansteorra,
which was auctioned off during the feast of the Crown Tournament of Spring AS
32 (1998 AD) for a bid of $450 (Vivat!).  I have a hypothesis to discuss:

I have heard stories of how the sword was passed from knight to knight during
Gulf War '97.  My Baron, Sir Pendarin, relates of how the sword seemed to move
on its own, striking three times unerringly.  Are their similar instances
among the other knights who had their turn at the object?  And what of the
story of the Trimarans who were eager to oppose those who held it for the
opportunity to be defeated by it?

If such things are truly possible, then two possible explanations come to
mind.  Either the spirit of Riccardo performed one final act by guiding the
sword before he departed into the Hereafter, or he has somehow imbued the
sword with a portion of his soul, to be used in times of dire need.

Of course, this is all mere speculation, but the universe is indeed a strange
thing.

Mahadi, if you are reading this, guard that sword well.  That is more than
just his memories.

Lord Johann Kiefer Hayden (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)