SR - Bryn Gwlad Costume college 6/13/98

Pam Martin martinpj at leander.isd.tenet.edu
Fri May 29 15:32:37 PDT 1998

Greetings to all those who live near Bryn Gwlad!  You are all invited to our....
Bryn Gwlad Costume Collegium (Fliers will be available at Fynnon Gath to take back to your area.)
Saturday, June 13, 1998
Cedar Park Middle School
9 am to 6 pm

There is no site fee, but donations to help defray the building rental cost are most welcome.
Please come in mundane clothes so that you will be able to focus on the classes.  If you have a particular costume that you have questions about, please bring it along.

ccc	Veil silk and fake hair will be on sale at the event.  It*s also rumored thay you*ll have an opportunity to illuminate some scrolls if you wish to learn!

Schedule of Events

8:30 The site opens for instructors to set up

9:00 - 10:45	 THE FABRIC CLASS  - General discussion of types of period fabrics, fabrics that are cotton but have the right *look*, color choice, color tone, and the way fabrics drape.  (Swatch packs will be available to take with you for $1.)

11:00 - 3:30   HELP, I CAN*T SEW! - This  class will be a hands-on class on how to use a sewing machine.  You will leave with basic sewing machine instruction and (hopefully) a new garment which will not be time specific.  In other words, the accessories that you wear will define your time period.  Gentlemen - please bring 4 yards of medium weight cotton fabric (ladies - 5 or 6 yards)  a spool of matching thread, scissors, and straight pins, with you to the class.

11:00 - 12:30   NORMAN vs. SAXON (500-1150)  - Most folks tend to lump these time periods together and wear a t-tunic.  This class will celebrate the differences in men*s and women*s clothing from these time periods.

11:00 - 12:30  WESTERN EUROPEAN CLOTHING 1150 to 1299 -Most folks tend to lump these time periods together and wear a t-tunic.  This class will celebrate the differences in men*s and women*s clothing from these time periods.

11:00 - 12:30  MIDDLE EASTERN CLOTHING - A general overview of middle eastern clothing for men and women.

12:30 - 1:30  POT LUCK LUNCH (see below for details)

1:45 - 3:45  TWO HOUR HATS (EARLY PERIODS) -  Please bring $4 for materials as well as hand sewing needles, white and black thread, and scissors.  You will  be able to walk away with one of the following:   fillet & silk veil(many time periods);    pill box (1200*s);   salt-box cauls (1380*s +) (Please bring an empty cylindrical salt box and 1/2 yd of brocade with you if you wish to make the caul);     Men*s coif  (1100*s +);  Men*s hood (w/out lirpipe to 1300*s, with lirpipe 1300*s +) although you will need at least 2 yds of fabric and a sewing machine to complete this, a hood pattern will be available for tracing.

1:45 - 3:45  TWO HOUR HATS (LATE PERIODS) - Please bring $4 for materials as well as hand sewing needles, white and black thread, and scissors.  You will be able to walk away with one of the following:  truncated hennin (1450*s);  Elizabethan muffin cap (1570 +);   Men/Women Elizabethan flat cap (1570+);  Men*s chaperon (squid hat) pattern will be available to copy, along with instructions.

4:00 - 5:30  ACCESSORIES (500-1399) - Accessories are vital to defining your period.  Learn what key elements will help you become your persona!

4:00 - 5:30  ACCESSORIES (1400-1600) - Accessories are vital to defining your period.  Learn what key elements will help you become your persona!

The Pot Luck Lunch

If your last name begins with.....

A-F	Please bring snack foods, that will serve 8 - 10, that can be put out for the day as munchies for between the sessions.

G-Z	Please bring some sort of casserole or hearty salad that will serve 6-8. Remember that this is a mundane lunch so you can bring anything you want.  For those who can*t cook, bread and cheese are always welcome.  In order to keep costs down we will not have access to the kitchens, so please keep it simple.  We will have plugs available if you need to plug in a crock pot.

***Lemonade, paper plates, utensils, and cups will be provided.

TO GET TO CEDAR PARK MIDDLE SCHOOL

>From the North:  Come down IH 35 to Hwy 620.  Head west on 620 until you reach Hwy 183.  Turn right (which is North) onto 183.  Go about 2 miles and Turn left onto Cypress Creek Road.  There is a Phillips 66 on the corner.

>From the South:  Head North on Hwy 183.   Continue on 183 past Hwy 620 for about 2 miles.  Turn Left onto Cypress Creek Road.  There is a Phillips 66 on the corner.

BOTH:  Continue down Cypress Creek Road for about 2 miles.  (take care -it*s under construction).  Cedar Park Middle School is the first school on the left side of the road.  (there is an elementary and an ACC campus on the right that you will pass on your way).  To get to the front parking lot, turn left onto Sun Chase Blvd.  You can see the front parking lot from Cypress Creek Road.  We*ll be in the Cafeteria.