SR - poll of paid members

Michael A Scofield ivarcat at juno.com
Sun Oct 11 11:00:39 PDT 1998

>Clarissa said:
>
>>Before we do this, I would like to see a complete polling of all
>members
>>in the region to see if there is enough support from the members
>(that is
>>the group that will decide things in the final vote) to follow this
>>through.
>>
>>Clarisssa
>
>Pendaran's response:
>
>That sounds like the prudent thing to do. We also need to specify to
>people
>that we're talking about deciding on a name for the region, not voting
>on
>whether or not to become a principality.
>
>So how do we go about poll all of the members in the region? Does
>anybody
>have experience with this sort of thing?
>
>Pendaran

Ivar's response:

Since we are talking about a name for a region, there is no reason to
poll the paid members of the SCA to see if they are in favor of forming a
principality.

If we have to poll the paid members of  an area in the SCA to find out if
they are in favor of beginning the process of forming a principality
before doing anything in that direction, it most likely would be stated
in Corpora. It is not.

While the FINAL vote must be taken from paid members, the results of a
poll at this time most probably will not reflect the final vote. Many
people have told me that when we get close to the point where the actual
vote for or against a principality is taken, they will send in their dues
and become paid members. While I find this to be unethical, it is
entirely legal. I fully expect to find a hard push for membership from
both those in favor and those opposed to forming a principality as we get
closer to the actual ballot from the BOD.

At this time we are just in the discussion stages of forming a
principality. Getting a name for the region is not a vote for or against
forming a principality, it is getting a name for the region. When we go
to Gulf War, the people of the region can be identified as
"_________ians" instead of "Southern Regioners".  It will help in
solidifying the region as a cohesive group, and help us do some fun
things as a large group with diverse talents and lots of support, rather
than as smaller groups with lots of talent, but fewer people to carry the
burden.

Clarissa, I get the feeling that you are not in favor of forming a
principality. If that is true, I have no problem with that, we all are
entitled to our opinions. However, since those of us in favor of a
principality are going along slowly and trying to take into account the
wishes of EVERYONE in the region to be fair to all involved, I see no
problem if *you* want to conduct a poll of the paid membership in the
Southern Region. We have had several called meetings at events, informal
discussions at other events, gatherings at peoples homes, and discussions
at populace meetings over the past many months. At these everyone who has
an opinion has been heard. At most of the populace meetings, as well as
the called meetings, at at least three events, the majority of ALL of the
people have been in favor of forming a principality based on the present
Southern Region. So, if you think that we need to have a poll of ONLY the
paid members of the SCA in the Southern Region of Ansteorra, go for it,
we who are working for a principality will make sure that the results of
*your* poll get published in the Lion's Tale.

I believe that you will need to contact the membership office in Milpitas
and request a mailing list for the Zip codes in the Southern Region. I
think you can get those numbers from Baron Burke. Then you will need to
get together  your poll questions, these need to be totally unbiased in
wording. Get them printed up, put them in addressed envelopes, put on
postage, mail them and wait for the returns. You did include a self
addressed, stamped envelope for the returns, right. Then have a reputable
group count the results and get the counts, all charted out by group, and
or Zip code, to whoever you want to publish the results. This appears to
be a rather large undertaking for a totally unnecessary activity.

While most people who read this will think I am being harsh, and perhaps
even think I am picking on Clarissa, they are not entirely correct. Yes,
I am being harsh. The purpose of the polling being discussed immediately
prior to these messages was about a name for the region. There have been
more than enough discussions about starting the activities needed to form
a principality. To throw a meaningless formal poll of only paid members
into the works at this point is counter productive, expensive, and
opposite the fair dealing with everyone in the region, which has been the
cornerstone of all of the principality activities to date.

So, before everyone and their brother jumps on my case, keep in mind all
of the activities which have taken place in the past months. Do we want
to throw all of that away and start over?

Ivar Runamagi
Member Number 114040