SR - Principality law question

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Fri Oct 16 07:15:45 PDT 1998

Meadbhb very eloquently stated:

While I can agree that requiring the crown is another 'burden' for them.
I think
not including the crown in the investiture is a big mistake.  The
'proposed
principality' is still part of this kingdom. Therefore, the prince and
princess
hold these lands in fief for the crown. The crown should be there to
invest the
prince and princess just as they would invest a baron and baroness.  I
could
understand not requiring the crown's presence IF the region was one that
was
fairly isolated but the southern region is anything but that! This also
gives the impression of separation from the rest of the kingdom (IMHO).
I think you lose that connection with the kingdom without the crown
being
there.... especially when we live in the region that the crown visits on
regular basis. Even with your 'required' meet the crown in 30 days..
.what if this obligation is not fulfilled?  This can set up a
complicated system of 'swearing fealty within a proscribed time period.

Just my 2 cents again,
Meadhbh

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<><><><>

Pendaran's Comments:

I can easily see both sides of the issue: on one hand, the last thing
that a new principality wants to is to add to the Crown's burden. On the
other hand, the other last thing that a new principality should want is
to create division within the kingdom.

How's this for a suggestion: the Crown of Ansteorra would be the default
choice in crowning (investing, or whatever the proper term is) the new
Prince and Princess. In the event that the Crown cannot attend the
event, the outgoing Coronet may act as the Crown's representative, and
invest the incoming Coronet.

Since paying homage (swearing fealty) must be required of the Coronet,
we could have the new Coronet pay homage to the Crown in the form of the
outgoing Coronet the Crown's representative in the matter), or require
the new Coronet to travel to an event where the Crown will be present at
some point during the Coronet's reign, and there pay homage to the Crown
in person. To take things one step further, we could require that both
be done. That actually sounds very period to me: reaffirming one's oath
of featly to one's liege.

I honestly don't see that big of a problem with the Coronet having to
find the Crown at some point in order to swear fealty. The landed
nobility is supposed to, but sometimes can not, travel to Coronation and
there pay homage for their lands. When this happens, they simply find
the Crown at some other event, and pay homage there (such as Baron
Raimond did at Bryn Gwlad a few weeks ago).

Anyway, there's my suggestion.

-Pendaran