SR - How many Norsemen does it take?

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:55:13 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Mon vieux Ivar writes:

>Lyonel the confused...

No, I'm not confused. True, I did misspell "discreet" yesterday (I meant
to say "discreet counsel" which is something one might give to a
discrete council). Merely a slip of the pen, je vous assure.

>Lyonel, it only takes one Norseman to surround you.

I'll take that challenge.

Give me about 10,000 square feet to work in (that's a roughly 100 X 100'
field) relatively free of obstacles (a few trees would be okay--a river
in the center would be right out). You supply the Norsemen, fully armed
and armored, and I'll bet you can't surround me with less than 5 in
under five minutes.  Standard Ansteorran rules of chivalric engagement,
no grappling or tackling, both sides taking standard blows.  They have
to surround me (or kill me) and all be within two sword lengths of me
for five seconds (as determined by an independent time-keeper).

My household can negotiate with yours to arrive at a suitable wager, no
doubt.

>It is nice to know
>you have at least one civilized Huscarl.

Yes it is.  A civilized Norseman--amazing the things you find.
:)

>The only remarkable thing about
>that raiding area called *francais* that I remember is the women.

As, no doubt, the cattle look upon your feast table and--seeing no
grass--see nothing worth their while.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace