SR - Principality law question

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Wed Oct 21 11:41:44 PDT 1998

Sounds good in theory.  In practice, all I remember the Tanists and
Tanistas of Artemisia spending time on was preparing for
investiture--selecting a site, arranging entourage, making new garb,
etc.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

_
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<><><><>

Umm, those things sound pretty important to me. I'm serious; royalty
should look the part (new clothes) and having a clued in, efficient
entourage is VERY important. Ask Kein and Alisha about that one. Plus,
like I said, I think that pomp and splendor should be as important in
the SCA as they were in middle ages. Believe me, those people liked to
put on as much of a show as they could at every opportunity.

I imagine that a lot of people are reading this and thinking "There goes
Pendaran yammering about ceremony and appearance again...", but indulge
me for a minute and I'll explain why I think that these things are
important. Ceremony, if done well, can create moments of sheer magic
that can last forever. True, ceremonies are often boring because they
fall into a routine. What I encourage is ceremony that is not routine,
but is magical. Case in point: people who were at Simon and Tessa's
coronation still talk about Prince Simon riding into court, splendidly
dressed, and the horse rearing as his he reigned it in. Did the horse
really rear up, with Simon staying on like a fairy tale knight? That
doesn't matter! What matters is that is how numerous people remember it
because the site of Simon coming in splendidly dressed on horseback was
enough to give people a magical moment. If that moment has gotten
exaggerated in the retelling, well, all the better. If all that we do is
bring the winner of the list up in court at the end of the day and place
crowns on their heads, we're already consigning ourselves to routine.
If, however, we do our very best to make some magic happen (which is
easier in smaller groups, by the way), then maybe -just maybe- we can
start a tradition of doing really cool things that people will talk
about around camp fires years into the future. Its those stories, and
the spark of magic in them, that capture the imagination and make people
fall in love with this silly game that we play. If you doubt that, ask
yourself why Ragnar was so incredibly special to everyone who knew him.

Okay, I'm finished ranting now.

-Pendaran

"Sometimes a lion just has to roar."
	-Ricardo di Pisa