SR - Cortisol

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:22:59 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Cortisol is a hormone produced in the adrenal cortex.  We all need a
certain amount of this hormone.  Cortisol plays an
essential role in the replacement and regeneration of damaged joint and
tendon tissue.  Unfortunately, cortisol also has nasty catabolic
effects--it destroys muscle tissue.

So what has this do do with anything?  Well, cortisol is produced in
excess in response to stress.  Every time your boss, spouse, kids,
subordinates, neighbors, trash collectors, IRS agents, student loan
counselors, professors, friends, compatriots, cats, dogs, or Congress
p*ss you off, your body begins to produce cortisol.

Result:  most of us end the work day with our bodies overflowing with
excess cortisol.

Solution:  release some energy.  Anabolic, explosive movements tend to
decrease cortisol (aerobics, for some reason, produce *more* cortisol).

Hey, I've got an idea!  Fighter practice. (Bet you didn't see *that*
coming. ;] )

I'll be out at the usual BG site, this evening at around 7:30/8:00.
Come out.  Bring armor and weapons.  Let's burn off some cortisol.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Capitan
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra