SR - Late Entry

RapierNet Admin owner-sca-rapier at Ansteorra.ORG
Fri Aug 6 15:33:25 PDT 1999

I apologize for the confusion over this name. I simply misunderstood
the connection between Lioness and Lyonesse. Of course, we did
not mean to suggest this was a mythical land.

Sadly, this leaves many Southerners without a name with which they
are satisfied. I have spoken to quite a few people and few expressed
any enthusiasm for the names on the ballot. It is a shame to have to
select a name because we think "it will do."

In answer to one of your questions:

Yes, I -- and others who were in on the name discussion -- knew the
naming process was happening. However, I had no name I felt was
worth submitting. I had thought about names before, as had others. I
had been in on similar discussions with similar groups, but there
was no great inspiration. I submitted nothing because I felt I had
nothing worth submitting. When Lioness (Lyonesse?) was
suggested it felt like an inspiration, something worth some effort. The
answer is, inspiration comes when it comes; no deadline can alter
that.

The technical problems you have pointed out make the name -- at
least the Lyonesse form -- fatally flawed. Still, it was a name that
meant a lot to many of us.

In fact, what this whole process has pointed out is how poorly suited
this process was for something like name selection. Of course, the
choice should be up to the people who must live there, but I don't
like the idea of selecting the least bad choice from those available
because the election deadline is approaching; I get too much of that
in my mundane life, selecting from unsuitable political candidates.

A name should be something that inspires us and speaks to our
hearts. Inspiration does not always come when called, and until it
does we should not force an uninspiring name on ourselves.

Don Christian Doré