SR - Lighter fluid for that blaze, anyone?

Marlin Stout ldcharls at swbell.net
Wed Aug 11 09:47:46 PDT 1999

Casey&Coni wrote:

> Okay, here's a little concept that should incite riots of World Cup Soccer
> proportions.
>
> Timo has said enough here to make me think hard on this: Does the current
> boundry of the Southern Region make any sense?
>
> I've stared at a map for hours trying to justify it and still can't.
>
> And this question goes out primarily to Ravensfort folks:  Is Timos
> assesment of the attitude there accurate?  Does the majority really feel
> that they'd be better off without the rest of the South?  I had heard this
> for a long time but I didn't actually believe it.

  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the current regional structure
created by the crown, as an administrative tool? I've thought that the
coastal region seemed awfully stretched, with groups at one end
inconveniently far from others. But then, as an administrative measure,
it works, since all the necessary paperwork travels by mail. I don't
think they gave a lot of thought when creating the regions to who plays
with who, they wanted to make sure everyone was assigned somewhere.
  Now, if we're talking about 'regional identity', or even about (gasp)
principalities, the concept of who feels they belong with us becomes
important. There may well be folks in Raven's Fort who play more with
Stargate than with Bryn Gwlad or Bjornsborg. And I'm sure there are
those in the Coastal region who'd feel more affinity to the Southern
groups than the other Coastal ones.
  After all, you can't just draw a line on a map, and tell folks "You
will feel like you belong over here."

Ld Charles MacKinnon
Bryn Gwlad