SR - Candlemas directions/info

Dottie Elliott difirenze at usa.net
Thu Feb 4 07:01:08 PST 1999

DIRECTIONS
The site, St. Helen's Catholic Church at 2700 E. University Avenue in
Georgetown, will open at 11:00 am and closes at 11:00. Take I-35 to
Georgetown; take the University exit #261 and go east on University
Avenue. Go past the University to 2700 East University Avenue (~3 miles).
St. Helen's Catholic Church will be at the top of the hill on the right
side of the road. [NOTE to those going South on I-35:  Exit 261 was
closed this week for road work! Watch for SCA signs for the exit you need
to take!]

ABOUT THE EVENT
Candlemas approaches but the Black Death rages like a wildfire across our
countryside, emptying village and city alike.  Skulls and shrouds and
mass graves have become commonplace.  'Tis indeed a dread time.  How then
can Bryn Gwlad, in good conscience, celebrate Candlemas-a time of
purification and rebirth?

How can we not?  Death is but a phase in the great cycle of life.  Join
us then as we confront Death in all his terror and glory.  We will dance
and play the day away in celebration of the continuance of life.  Beware,
though, Death himself knows of our plans and is likely to appear.  Come
then in masks or fully costumed to fool the Reaper, for his touch is
fatal (though legend has it Death will occasionally strike a bargain).
Feast throughout the afternoon and into the early evening on a
sideboard-provided by our own Clarissa di Firenze-that is guaranteed to
be to die for. Pork roasts, sausages, meat pies, dumplings, stuffed
mushrooms, roasted vegetables, cheesecakes, candies, and fruits is just a
partial list of the sumptuous spread we will regale you with.  Dance
yourself to death, enjoy theatrics that are sure to slay you, or simply
hang out with the dead in the Purgatory Lounge. Splendiferous prizes will
be awarded for the Best Mask, Best Costume, Best Death, and of course,
Best Deal with Death.

We are anticipating an offering of classes, and there will be ongoing
children's activities throughout the day.Event fee (includes site and
sideboard-essentially an all-day feast running from 2:00 til 7:00)
$15.00.Make checks payable to Barony of Bryn Gwlad, SCA Inc.

Steward: Mistress Aquilanne Jessica Grace mka Dory Grace, (512) 467
8566,amazing at texas.net
Cook: Baroness Clarissa di Firenze, mka Dottie Elliott, (512) 990-7306,
difirenze at usa.net
Children's Activities: Lady Tabitha Baker,  (512)927-9853

Additional information at:
http://www.bryn-gwlad.org/events/local.events.htm