SR - I'm going to try this once - *once*

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:14:34 PST 1999

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

I just can't take any more.  It's like watching a hungry monkey try to
peel a football.

Gilli said something that approximates:

>It just seems that no one gives the south end of a northbound rodent
about
>the awards regalia.

It's not about regalia.  It's not about insignia.  It's not about
recognition.  It's not about laziness.

Gilli, everyone who has responded to this thread--with the exception of
Keyna--finds your challenges tiresome and self-aggrandizing, your
dramatic concern for insignia overblown, and your ability to beat the
powdered remnants of the fossilized remains of a dead eohippus into
subatomic components absolutely and inhumanly stupefying.

Perhaps I should explain what I mean by "self-aggrandizing."  Every time
you post another of your, "Gosh, I sure *hoped* someone could produce
more than me," what we all hear you saying is something more like, "Look
everybody.  See how hard I work.  See how much you rely on me. Notice
me.  Notice me." (Please, don't post another response explaining what
you *really* meant.)

You really want to see people produce insignia?  Here's two ideas:

(1)  Quality:  Go out and find a nifty prize, then just watch and wait.
Next time you see a really finely crafted insignia, give the nifty prize
to the Queen and ask her to give said prize to the craftsperson who made
the insignia.

(2)  Quantity:  Take your nifty prize to Their Majesties and ask them to
announce a competition for whoever can produce the most award insignia
during their reign.  Exempt yourself from the accounting and ask that
Their Majesties not announce your name.

What's the common thread in both of these methods?  That's right:
anonymity.  If you can do this anonymously, no one will question your
motives, and they might actually focus on your (I hope) real target.

On a similar note, stop telling everyone how important it is that you
make these insignia.  First, as Aquilanne tried to explain, it's really
not that important. Insignia are a nicety.  They're not a necessity.
Frankly, some folks don't even wear the damn things. And, certainly no
sovereign with half a brain is going to refuse to give an award just
because the insignia box is empty.  Second, most of us perceive your
constant pounding of this second drum ("Insignia are *so* important and
I'm the only one making them!") as further evidence of the self-serving
nature of your diatribes.

Afraid that your anonymous service won't get noticed?  Don't be. We're
the SCA; we couldn't keep a secret if our lives depended on it.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, OP
semper litteris mandate