SR - focus on matters of importance .... was: Old subject

Casey&Coni weed at sage.net
Wed Jan 20 11:02:06 PST 1999

Bob wrote:

>Are you saying that recognizing peoples accomplishments is unimportant?
Are
>you saying that the part where the Crown calls that person into Court is
>unimportant?
************
I don't see this at all... what does a necklace have to do with being called
into court and recognized?  Can you somehow not do one for lack of the
other?  If the king and queen read it into law... it's LAW.  Period. you
don't need a keychain or pendant to validate the act.

I think the point has been made that most people don't think that the actual
physical regalia is all that important to the recipient of the award nor to
the King and Queen.  I am *certain* that if Gunthar and Sara (or any other
Kings or Queens I can think of) decided they wanted to give an award, they
wouldn't let the lack of a painted drink coaster stop them.  If the person
was *particularly* deserving of the award, someone might just step up and
offer forth their own medallion, creating a history and sentiment that has
more meaning than just the physical piece itself represents.  If I had my
way about it, any award I ever recieved would be given like this... it
deeply moves me when it happens and I make a point to pass on my awards in a
like manner.   I almost went to tears when my knight, Sir Axel, offered me
*his* chain at my knighting... nothing beats that feeling of approval from
someone whom you admire.

I wonder just how many donations have been made like that this year?  I know
that Centurion cloaks are *exclusively* given in this manner, tasking the
new member to wear the 'holding cloak' until they make one of their own that
suits their particular personna.

Neat tradition, don't you guys think?  *If* a principality comes about...
wouldn't it be spectacular to see this used as a way of giving awards? (as
well as a workload off Gilberts hands)

Dieterich

P.S.  Hanse, on the other hand, entirely agrees with you, Gilbert. God
forbid it if they ever allow the middle class to purchase rank; Hanse would
hock his mother for an Award of Arms and would carry a sign around that said
"ARMIGER" to let us all know.