SR - perceptions of importance ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Jan 20 11:26:41 PST 1999

On 20 Jan 99, at 11:45, Bob Dewart wrote:

> Are you saying that recognizing peoples accomplishments is unimportant?
> Are you saying that the part where the Crown calls that person into Court
> is unimportant?

no, what i am saying is that it is not important to all people (one size does
*not* fit all) ... what i am saying is that it is not required for everyones
enjoyment in the game ... what i am saying is that it is not important to the
exclusion of all else ... what i am saying is that there are more important
things to be focusing on at this point in time .... what i am saying is that
the incessant berating of everyone for not cranking out mass-trinkets in this
pointless "challange" is becoming annoying in the extremes.

is it any wonder you are getting less and less response?  you are right in a
earlier post when you claim your award challenge is being ignored ... because
increasingly it is.  why is it being ignored?  primarily because it has become
a mojor annoyance and people usually have better things to do than be annoyed.
best way to cope with annoyance .... ignore it until it goes away.

> my point is THIS:  If if it isn't taken care of it won't be taken care of.

you're selling the people of this kingdom, region, and the proto-principality
quite short there.  personally, i have a lot more faith in the populous (based
on experience and observation over the years).  our kingdon (and prior,
principality, and prior proto-principality ... back into the mists to SCAtime
(g)) history has show that these things tend to get done quite adequately.

when a job of importance comes up, there's usually a qualified volunteer to
step up (or be drafted) and take up the necessary yoke.  point here is you see
something as a necessity ... most others involved see it as a luxury that can
be dealt with when resources allow.

> Someone is working on the name. Someone is working on the legal stuff.
> Someone if working on the heraldy. Someone is working on the vote. And I'm
> sure someone is working on a bunch of other things too. It just seems that
> no one gives the south end of a north bound rodant about the awards
> regalia.

this being ansteorra, "a northern end of a south bound 'dillo" would be a much
better idiom ... which is correct, most don't care about the awards regalia at
the level that you do, at thsi time.  possibly because most consider it of
lesser importance than the bigger issues to hand (and to my mind, rightly so).

you have your opinion, they/we have ours ... no problem.  problem comes when we
are constantly bombarded with messages attempting to "rectify" our points of
view.  face it, no matter how many time you issue your challenge, no matter how
many lists you do it on, using the tactics you have adopted to date, you will
not alter the opinions of your audience or in any way change how they views the
importance of the matter.

remember, a challenge is a open invitation ... it's really up to the person(s)
on the other end to choose whether or not to contest.  there is just as much
honor in ignoring or walking away from such a challenge as accepting it.  there
is no way to force people to accept (then it's no longer a challange, more like
a press-gang) and berateing others for not accepting is not at all a honorable
thing.  it only degrades the importance of the origional challenge and insures
that fewer and fewer will even bother listening to such in the future.

really seems that stocking awards as you are trying to champion is a classic
case of putting the cart before the horse.  energies expended in that direction
could probably be much better spent on more pressing issues.

advice ... it obviously isn't working at present, so let it go for now.  maybe
this time next year you'll have more receptive audience.  at the moment i'ld
say the patient has expired and you are beating that proverbial dead horse.  at
the very least i would council a retreat and re-assement of tactics, this
assault is making no headway at all.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves